Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. PM Narendra Modi has laid the Foundation Stone of the Indian Agricultural Research Institute at Gogamukh in Assam’s Dhemaji district located on the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.
This will be the third Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
Apart from IARI in the Delhi, the work on setting up of second IARI in Ranchi, Jharkhand has commenced.
2. Election contestants have to declare their own and their spouse’s sources of earning in their contesting polls.
According to the Election Commission, the amendment is aimed at bringing in more transparency.
The new rules also make it necessary for the poll contestants to specify whether they are Indian citizens or not as only the Indian nationals can contest the elections.
3. The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has been given back the power to grant licenses for defence manufacturing.
The power to grant manufacturing license with respect to the category of arms and ammunition and defence items under the Arms Act.
4. Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of a unit of the Delhi-based All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Changsari, Assam.
The institute will be constructed at a cost of Rs 1,123 crores as part of the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana.
The seven functioning AIIMS are located in New Delhi, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh.
5. Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis inaugurated India’s first multi-modal electric vehicle project and Ola electric charging station in Nagpur.
The city will have a fleet of 200 electric vehicles including taxis, buses, e-rickshaw, and autorickshaws, all of which will be fully owned by cab aggregator Ola.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The 43rd G7 Summit 2017 was held in Taormina (ME), Sicily, Italy from 26th May-27th May 2017.
The summit focuses on: counter-terrorism, global economy and reduction of inequalities, foreign policy, security of citizens, and climate change.
European Council President Donald Tusk and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker represent the EU at the summit.
2. Indo-Thailand HADR Table Top Exercise 2017 was held in Chiang Mai, Thailand from 22th May to 26th May 2017 between the Indian Air Force and Royal Thailand Air Force (RTAF).
The aim of the bilateral exercise is to evolve SOPs for planning and executing relief missions during unforeseen natural calamities like Tsunami, earthquakes, cyclones, floods etc.
3. The NATO Leaders’ Meeting 2017 was held at NATO’s new Headquarters in Belgium, Brussels.
The next summit will be held in Istanbul, Turkey.
4. Apple has opened its first store in Southeast Asia at Singapore’s upmarket shopping district.
Apple already has almost 500 stores globally with more than a million visitors daily.
Apart from Singapore it has shops located in Hong Kong, China and Japan in Asia.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Munnar, the popular hill station in Kerala won the award for ‘Best Destination for Romance‘ at the Lonely Planet Magazine Indian Travel Awards 2017.
P Bala Kiran, Director of Kerala Tourism received the award.
The hilly Munnar town in Idukki district is famous for its romantic cottages, cloudy mountains, lively tea gardens, green valleys, waterfalls.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Syed Ghayorul Hasan Rizvi assumed charge of the Chairman of the National Commission for Minorities in New Delhi.
He served as Chairman, U.P Minority Finance Development Corporation Ltd.
2. Jaideep Mazumdar has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Philippines.
The 1989 batch IFS officer is presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
3. Tapan Ray was appointed as the next Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs, under the Ministry of Finance from 1st June 2017.
He will replace Shaktikanta Das who is retiring.
The government had extended Das’s tenure by three months till 31st May 2017.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), ranked 106 is the highest ranked Indian company in the list of Forbes 15th annual ‘Global 2000’ list for 2017.
The number Indian companies to feature in the list has risen to 58, compared to 56 the previous year.
RIL is followed by SBI, ranked 244 this year and state-run oil explorer ONGC, ranked No. 246.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA’s Juno spacecraft has discovered Earth-sized cyclones at the poles of the Jupiter.
It showed the presence of the storm systems that travel deep into the heart of the planet.
Both the poles of the Jupiter were found to be covered with Earth-sized swirling storms which are densely clustered and rubbing together.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Kanwar Pal Singh Gill, one of India’s most celebrated cops, passed away in New Delhi.
He was popularly known as the ‘Lion of Punjab’ and ‘Super Cop’, Gill has also been an advisor to Gujarat and Chhattisgarh governments, a hockey administrator, and a prolific commentator on security issues.
He was honoured with Padma Shri in 1989 for his outstanding work as a civil servant.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images