Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off the country’s first Antyodaya Express.
Antyodaya Express is a long-distance, fully unreserved, superfast train service, for the common man to be operated on dense routes.
Tejas and UDAY Express will be launched soon.
2. Goa ranked first in having lesser infant mortality rate, according to the recent data registered at 42 deaths of kids per 1000 birth.
Puducherry with 11 deaths per 1000 birth ranked second while Kerala ranked third.
3. Andaman and Nicobar Islands’ Radhanagar beach has secured 8th position among the top 10 beaches of the World and topped in Asia.
The Baia do Sancho Fernando de Noronha in Brazil topped the list followed by Grace Bay Providenciales in Turks and Caicos, Eagle Beach in Aruba. Goa’s Agonda beach was placed at No 5 position.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and Israel are planning to hold a series of events to celebrate 25 years of establishment of their diplomatic ties.
India had established full diplomatic relationship with Israel in 1992 though it had recognized the country in 1950.
2. India and Ukraine have agreed to strengthen the bilateral cooperation between the two countries through the medium of Cinema in New Delhi.
The cooperation would be helpful to showcase films through the medium of Film Festivals.
3. European Union member states have approved visa-free travel for Georgia.
The proposal now requires formal signature by the 28 member states of EU and the European Parliament.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu won gold medal in 10m pistol mixed team event at ISSF World Cup.
Jitu and Heena defeated Japan’s Yukari Konishi and Tomoyuki Matsuda by 5-3 in the final.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The winners of the 10th annual ESPN cricinfo Awards are announced. Here is the list.
Test Batting Performance of the Year: Ben Stokes (England)
Test Bowling Performance of the Year award: Stuart Broad (England)
ODI Batting Performance of the Year: Quinton De Kock (South Africa)
ODI Bowling Performance of the Year: Sunil Narine (West Indies)
T20 Batting Performance of the Year award: Carlos Brathwaite (West Indies)
T20 Bowling Performance of the Year: Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh)
Debutant of the Year: Mehedi Hasan Miraz (Bangladesh)
Captain of the Year: Virat Kohli (India)
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Apollo Munich has entered into bancassurance tie-up with Dena Bank.
Under the tie-up, the bank will distribute customized Apollo Munich Health insurance and personal accident policies to the bank’s 20 million customers nationwide.
2. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has tied-up with Centrum group, a leading financial services company, which will now mange the bank’s wealthy clients.
Centrum Wealth Management currently has assets under advice (AUA) in excess of Rs 10,000 crore.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Shri Birender Singh Yadav has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Togo, with residence in Accra (Ghana).
Presently he is the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Ghana.
2. Kabir Bedi was appointed as the honorary brand ambassador of Sightsavers, a global organization working to prevent avoidable blindness.
3. Retired IAS officer Khursheed A Ganai was appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of Jammu and Kashmir.
His appointment will take effect from the date he assumes charge of the post.
4. Gopal Baglay, a senior diplomat was appointed as the new spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
He will be succeeding Vikas Swarup, who was appointed as India’s new High Commissioner to Canada.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Paytm E-Commerce, the online marketplace arm of One97 Communications Pvt. Ltd, launched Paytm Mall, a mobile app and online shopping portal.
Paytm Mall will focus on structured categories and brand authorised stores, electronics, top fashion brands and FMCG categories.
2. Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) crossed Rs4 trillion in market capitalization.
RIL is the second company after Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) to cross Rs4 trillion in market cap.
Currently, TCS has a total market cap of Rs4.88 trillion.
3. Abdul Bari Siddiqui, the finance minister of Bihar government presented the annual state budget of 2017-18 in the legislative assembly.
The size of the budget for the fiscal year 2017-18 is Rs 160085 lakh crore.
The state government has not introduced any fresh tax.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA is planning to send its first unmanned robotic spacecraft under Solar Probe Plus mission to Sun in 2018 to probe its atmosphere.
It will unveil why the surface of the Sun is not as hot as its atmosphere.
The spacecraft has 11.4 cm carbon-composite shield designed to withstand temperatures outside spacecraft of 1,370 degrees celsius.
1. 28th February is celebrated as National Science Day every year in India since 1928.
The day is celebrated to mark Indian physicist Sir Chandrashekhar Venkata Raman’s discovery of the Raman Effect.
The theme of the year 2017 is “Science and Technology for specially abled persons”.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Former Union Minister P. Shiv Shankar passed away after a prolonged illness. He was 89.
Shiv Shankar served as External Affairs and Human Resource Development Minister.
2. Apartheid era South African human rights lawyer Essa Moosa has died.
She was the retired judge of Western Cape High Court.
3. Neil Fingleton, a 7-foot 7-inch actor who played the giant, Mag the Mighty, in “Game of Thrones” has died at 36 due to heart failure.
Fingleton was recognized by Guinness World Records in 2007 as the U.K.’s tallest man.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images