Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has inaugurated the newly built Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) of the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) at Chitradurga in Karnataka.
The current length of the runway at the ATR is 2.2 km.
It can be used for testing of bigger aircraft like AEW&CS (Airborne Early Warning &Control Systems) aircraft.
2. PM Narendra Modi has embarked on a six-day tour of Germany, Spain, Russia and France starting 29th May and ending on 3rd June.
The trip that is aimed at boosting India’s economic and defence engagement and attracting more investment from some of the biggest economies in Europe.
3. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a slew of incentives for journalists, including a Rs 10,000 monthly pension scheme, for those who are above 60 years and have completed 20 years in the profession.
He also announced a life insurance cover of Rs 10 lakh and a cashless mediclaim policy of Rs 500,000.
The announcements were made at the Swarna Jayanti Journalists’ Meet in Panchkula.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel won the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix at the Circuit de Monaco, La Condamine and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
The second place in the race was secured by Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen, while the third place was secured by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
2. South Korea defeated China won badminton’s Sudirman Cup 2017 for the first time in 14 years, held in Gold Coast Australia.
Korea won by 32 points against China.
3. Ananya Kamboj from Mohali, has been selected to represent India as a young journalist at the global Football For Friendship (F4F) social programme in Russia.
Ananya will join young journalists from around the world in St. Petersburg, Russia in July 2017.
F4F is a program which is supported by Mission XI Million, programme of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017.
4. Arsenal won its 13th FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over Chelsea, the reigning Premier League champions at the Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Arsenal lead by minutes only with Alexis Sanchez.
5. India’s Chadalavada Anandha Sundhararaman Bhavani Devi has become first Indian to win a Gold Medal in an International fencing tournament.
She participated in the sabre event of the Turnoi Satellite Fencing Championship held at Reykjavik in Iceland.
In the final, she defeated Sarah Jane Hampson of Great Britain.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 70th annual Cannes Film Festival took place from 17th to 28th May 2017, in Cannes, France. Here are the list of winners.
|Caméra d’Or (best first feature)||Jeune Femme|
|Best short film||A Gentle Night|
|Best actress||Diane Kruger|
|Best actor||Joaquin Phoenix|
|Best director||Sofia Coppola|
|Grand Prix||120 Beats per Minute|
|70th Anniversary prize||Nicole Kidman|
|Palme d’Or||The Square|
2. The Manipur government has declared Dailong village of Tamenglong district as a Biodiversity Heritage Site of the state.
Dialong village, covering an area of 11.35 sq km, has been declared Heritage Site under Section 37(1) of Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
3. Padmalaya Nanda from Odisha is set to represent India at the Little Miss Universe beauty representation to be held in Georgia, the US from 31st May to 6th June 2017.
She has also been nominated to represent India at the Little Miss World contest in Greece.
4. Three well-known artists from Odisha to get Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards 2016 in their respective fields.
Odissi dance Guru Ratikant Mohapatra, playwright and director Prof. Satyabrata Rout and Pala artist Laxmidhar Rout have been selected for the award.
The award consists of Rs. 50,000, a citation, an angavastram (a shawl), and a Tamra Patra (a brass plaque).
5. Uttarakhand Mountaineer Border Security Force (BSF) Love Raj Singh Dharmshaktu become the first Indian to summit Mount Everest a record six times.
He is a Padma Shri awardee and works as an assistant commandant with the BSF in Dehradun.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Vani Sarraju Rao has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Finland.
She is presently working as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) become the country’s most profitable state-owned company with net profit to Rs 19,106.40 crore in the financial year ended 31st March 2017.
IOC has overtaken the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
Reliance Industries retained the crown of being India’s most profitable private company for the third year in a row, posting a net Rs 29,901 crore in the financial year 2016-17.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will observe financial literacy week from 5th-9th June across the country.
It will focus on four broad themes—know your customer (KYC), Exercising Credit Discipline, Grievance Redressal and Going Digital (UPI and *99#).
The main objective of observing the week is to emphasize the importance of financial literacy.
3. Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya announced Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) will invest Rs 20,000 exchange traded funds in the financial year 2017-2018.
Earlier EPFO had approved a hike in investment limit in exchange traded funds to 15 percent from 10 percent.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Mauritius inked important agreements. These agreements are listed below.
Agreement on Maritime Security.
MoU for setting up of a civil services college in Mauritius.
MoU was signed between the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
Mauritius Oceanography Institute in marine sciences and technology. Submission of the instrument of ratification of International Solar Alliance (ISA) by Mauritius.
Mauritius once again confirmed its support for the permanent seat for India at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
Science & Technology:
1. ISRO will be launching the Heaviest Rocket called the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV Mk-III) on 5th June 2017.
It is 43 meters in height, 4 meters round and has a lift-off mass of 640 tonnes.
It will help India become self-reliant for launching satellites as it would be capable of placing 4 – tonnes glass geosynchronous satellite into orbit.
2. India’s first three cases of the Zika virus were reported between February 2016 and January 2017 in Ahmedabad, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed in its disease outbreak bulletin.
It said the Centre confirmed the three cases, in two pregnant women and in an elderly man.
3. A deep depression in the Bay of Bengal has been declared intensified into a tropical cyclone named Mora.
It may help to pull monsoon faster over the mainland.
This is the second cyclone in the Bay of Bengal after Maarutha.
4. The construction of the world’s largest optical and infrared telescope, to be located at the Paranal Observatory in the Antofagasta region was inaugurated in Chile.
The telescope will be constructed at a 3,000 meter-high mountain in the middle of the Atacama desert.
The telescope is scheduled to commence its operations in 2024.
1. The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers is observed every year on 29th May.
The day is celebrated to pay tribute to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve in United Nations peacekeeping operations.
The theme for the 2017 International Day of UN Peacekeepers is Investing in Peace Around the World.
2. 28th May was declared as International Day of Action for Women’s Health.
The main focus of the day is on protecting the sexual and reproductive health of women.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images