Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Election Commission of India (ECI) has announced the dates for the assembly elections in five states– Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur, and Goa.
With the Election Commission announcement, the Model code of conduct has come into effect.
Counting of votes for all five states will take place on 11th March 2017.
2. The Union Ministry of Urban Development launched Swachh Survekshan 2017 to rank 500 cities/towns across the country on cleanliness with a population of 1 lakh and above.
The survey will be conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI) under the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan in a bid to encourage competition to improve sanitation.
3. The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved new projects under Namami Gange programme in Haridwar (Uttarakhand) and Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh).
In Haridwar, 68 MLD sewage treatment plants (STP) and 14 MLD STP in Sarai was with Central government funding and also under Hybrid Annuity based PPP mode.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the five-day 104th Indian Science Congress at the Srinivasa Auditorium in Sri Venkateswara University in Tirupati.
‘Science and Technology for National Development’ would be the focal theme of the Indian Science Congress.
1. China’s table tennis Grand Slam champion Li Xiaoxia announced her retirement through social media in Beijing.
Li won the team gold medal at the Rio Olympic Games in 2016 when she also finished the runner-up in the singles event.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Mori, a tiny village under Sakhinetipalli mandal in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, has been transformed completely into a Smart Digital Village, in every sense of the term.
All the 1189 households in the village with a population of 4500 became fully digital.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar was sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India (CJI).
He was administered oath to the office by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
With this, he became the first person from Sikh communitry to become the CJI.
2. Surekha Marandi has been appointed as the Executive Director (ED) of RBI.
She was appointed in place of U S Paliwal who retired on December 31, 2016.
In her new role, she will look after Consumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary’s Department of the RBI.
3. Air Marshal SB Deo appointed as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCAS) at Air HQ.
He is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy and the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Centre has allowed 12 lenders to raise close to Rs. 3,000 crore via preferential shares over and above the Rs. 22,915 crore capital support committed to them in July last year to strengthen the capital base of public sector banks (PSBs).
The Finance Ministry granted approval to 12 PSBs to raise a sum of Rs. 2,914.038 crore through preferential allotment and permission was given to raise Rs. 200 crore by United Bank of India through the QIP mode.
Science & Technology:
1. Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani dedicated India’s first laser technology-based advanced AVMS RTO check-post at Shamlaji of Aravalli district.
The check-post is equipped with advanced ray technology with a cost of Rs 4.72 crore.
1. Search engine giant Google honoured India’s 19th Century social reformer Savitribai Phule on her 186th birth anniversary, 3rd January 2017 by dedicating a doodle on its webpage.
The ‘doodle’ had a narration by New Delhi-based NGO Zubaan, with colourful paintings by Malvika Asher on the different historical aspects of Savitribai’s life.
1. John Berger, a Booker award winner, died. He was 90.
The author of criticism, novels, poetry, screenplays and many less classifiable books, Berger had considerable influence as a late 20th-century thinker.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images