Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The government has declared the entire Assam as a disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for another 3 months.
In addition, the government has placed three districts of Arunachal Pradesh, namely, Tirap, Changlang and Longding and other areas falling under 16 police stations bordering Assam as “disturbed” area under the AFSPA.
2. The Haryana government has decided to open canteens offering meals at affordable rates.
Under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana scheme the workers at 23 locations in the state can avail their food.
3. Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan stated that more than 2 crore LPG gas connections are given under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY) in the last one year.
4600 new distributors were added in the last 3 years primarily in the rural areas.
4. The Supreme Court confirmed the death penalty for the four convicts- Akshay, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Mukesh of the 2012 gang rape and murder of Nirbhaya.
A bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan confirmed the decision.
Sports & Athletics:
1. India’s badminton players PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal, received prize money and cash dues for winning international events from Badminton Association of India (BAI).
A total of Rs 1.07 crore the Rs.30 lakh due for winning the Common Wealth Games (CWG) gold and the 2015 India Grand Prix Gold title issued to the players.
2. International cricket council (ICC) has raised the prize money by $2 million to popularize women’s cricket and also the upcoming 2017 World cup in England.
This is ten times the amount that was awarded in the last edition in 2013.
The ICC announced that Decision Review system (DRS) will be put in place for the first time in women’s cricket during the eight-team tournament in June.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Kashmir based freelance photographer Saqib Majeed has bagged prestigious 2016 Wisden-MCC (Melbourne Cricket Council) Cricket ‘Photograph of the Year’ Award.
He was awarded for capturing a stunning image of boys playing cricket at the Nishat garden on the outskirts of Srinagar.
With this has become the first Kashmiri and second Asian after Atul Kamble to receive the prestigious award.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Online classifieds firm Quikr India Pvt. Ltd has acquired Mumbai-based Rejuvenate Solutions Pvt. Ltd, which runs online home services marketplace Zimmber, for an undisclosed amount.
The acquisition will help scale up Quikr’s hyper-local household services business.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The government has appointed new managing directors and chief executive officers of seven public sector banks. The new appointments are:
R Subramaniakumar: MD and CEO of the Indian Overseas Bank (IOB).
Rajkiran Rai G: MD and CEO of the Union Bank of India.
Sunil Mehta: MD and CEO in the Punjab National Bank.
Usha Ananthasubramanian: MD and CEO Allahabad Bank.
Dinabandhu Mohapatra: MD and CEO of the Bank of India.
M O Rego: MD and CEO of Syndicate Bank.
R A Sankara Narayanan: MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank.
2. Ashoka University named Pratap Bhanu Mehta as its Vice Chancellor (VC). after conducting an extensive global search.
Mehta will take charge from 1st July 2017 at the Sonepat, Haryana-based university.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has tightened the rules around making the Joint Lenders’ Forum (JLF) more effective.
RBI also directs banks not to break any rules and to meet all deadlines.
The RBI has said that any breach of rules would attract a monetary penalty.
2. The Reserve Bank of India decided to authorize the promulgation of the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017.
The promulgation includes inserting two new Sections (viz. 35AA and 35AB) after Section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Finance Minister Mr. Arun Jaitley introduced NABARD (Amendment) Bill 2017 in Lok Sabha.
The Bill seeks to amend certain clauses in the light of reference of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 and the Companies Act, 2013 in the proposed legislation.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Thirty-Four MoUs amounting about Rs 2 lakh crores were signed in the India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit in New Delhi.The sessions focused on six major themes.
Multi Modal Logistics Parks.
New developments in Urban Transportation.
Freight Corridors for Economic Development.
Supply Chain Transformation- Storage Innovations.
GST and Role of Digitization for Decongestion.
Standards and Skills for Logistics.
Science & Technology:
1. The world’s biggest X-ray laser has generated its first beam of light, that will allow scientists to get a glimpse of new materials, drugs and chemical reactions at the atomic level.
The 3.4-kilometre-long European XFEL is located in underground tunnels in Germany.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images