1. Indian author Amitav Ghosh was shortlisted for the 2015 Man Booker International Prize. He is the only Indian among the 10 finalists shortlisted for the prize. 58-year-old, Ghosh was chosen for his contribution to the English language writing. Earlier in 2008, he was shortlisted for the prize his work Sea of Poppies but he missed the prize narrowly.
2. The thirteenth state level philatelic exhibition of Gujarat postal circle or Gujpex-2015 was inaugurated by the Gujarat Governor O.P. Kohli at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Memorial in Ahmedabad. The purpose of the exhibition is to showcase the beautiful world of stamps to general public especially to children and youth, to promote the hobby of Philately and to provide opportunity to philatelist to show case their valuable collections.
3. Three Immediate Support Vessels (ISVs) were commissioned in Indian Navy at the Eastern Naval Command (ENC) base in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
4. 18th round of talks between the Special Representatives of India and China on the Boundary Question was held in New Delhi. The India was represented by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and China was represented Yang Jiechi, State Councillor of China.
5. Indian-American author Akhil Sharma won The Folio Prize 2015 for his novel Family Life. His novel Family Life was one among the eight books shortlisted from 80 works of fiction and was chosen as the best fiction published in the UK in 2014 by the 235 writers and critics who constitute the Folio Academy.
6. Artist Bharti Kher of India was conferred with the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres). This is the highest cultural award of France. She was awarded for her contribution in contemporary art landscape. Kher’s artworks span several mediums like painting, sculpture and installation.
1. The United States (US) President Barack Obama agreed to slow the US military pullout from the war-torn Afghanistan, to keep 9800 troops in Afghanistan through the end of 2015.
2. Scientists at Australian National University (ANU) found the world’s largest asteroid impact zone in the Warburton Basin of central Australia. The findings were published in the March 2015 issue of Journal Tectonophysics. Dr. Andrew Glikson from the Australian National University (ANU) School of Archaeology and Anthropology was the lead author of the study.
3. Flight 4U 9525 of Germanwings Airbus A320, the budget carrier airline of Germany’s Lufthansa, crashed in the French Alps between Digne and Barcelonnette with 150 people on board.
4. China announced to shut down the last major coal-fired 845 megawatt (MW) power plant China Huaneng Group in Beijing by 2016. The aim of shutting down the plant is to cut pollution and replace it with gas-fired power plants.
1. The 62nd National Film Awards were announced in a press conference in New Delhi. The conference was addressed by Jury Chairpersons Shri Bharathiraja and Shri Kamal Swaroop. Click here to view the complete list of “62nd National Film Awards” Winners.
2. Veteran poet Gopaldas Neeraj awarded inaugural National Kavi Pradeep Samman. He was presented the award by Madhya Pradesh Culture Minister Surendra Patwa at a function held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. He is among the renowned poets and authors in Hindi literature and also is a famous poet of Hindi Kavi Sammelan
1. Twitter Samwad was launched by Union Government in association with social networking service Twitter that facilitates direct communication between leaders, government agencies and citizens. Through this, the government bodies can have a direct communication with citizens on a daily basis via Tweets and SMS on their mobile devices. The service was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meet with Twitter Chief Executive Dick Costolo in New Delhi. The service is aimed to boost the nation’s e-governance plans.
2. Indian Railways launched its own RuPay pre-paid card. The card will enable passengers to book their Rail tickets and do shopping using RuPay pre-paid debit cards. Card can be availed from either the Union Bank or the IRCTC. The transaction charge will be 10 rupees per ticket for booking a ticket through the card on the IRCTC portal.
1. Online food ordering platform Foodpanda has appointed Saurabh Kochhar, personalised printing startup Printvenue’s founder, as its India CEO and chief business officer for the company’s global operations.
2. Wipro’s former banking products and solutions head Balasubramanian Ganesh has joined UK-based bank HSBC Holdings Plc as deputy global chief information officer (CIO).
1. Shivani Cherukuri of Andhra Pradesh entered the India Book of Records. She entered the list of records by scoring 388 points in the recurve segment in two distances, seven and five meters, at the Volga Archery Academy in Vijayawada. At the time of entering the India Book of Records, she was nine days less than three years.