Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. India was ranked 37th among the surveyed 38 countries in the Intellectual Property Index (IPI) released by United States Chamber of Commerce (USCC).
For nearly 85% of the global GDP was targeted by these 38 countries benchmarked in the 2016 index accounts.
India has scored a low 7.0 out of maximum 30 points, because the Patent protection in India remains outside of international best practices.
With 6.42 points on the index, Venezuela ranked lowest below India at 38th position.
International – Across the Globe:
1. An agreement for the improvement in Cooperation in Cyber Defence to counter modern forms of hybrid warfare has been signed between The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and European Union (EU).
A technical agreement was signed at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium between both organizations in the presence of all the 22 members of both countries.
It was signed between NATO Computer Incident Response Capability (NCIRC) and the Computer Emergency Response Team of European Union (CERT-EU).
Under this agreement both countries will solve the cyber security problems, share information and best practices to solve it, so that the objectives of the EU Cyber Defence Policy Framework can be met.
2. Abu Dhabi National Oil (ADNOC) Company, the UAE’s national oil company has agreed to store crude oil in India’s maiden Strategic Petroleum Reserves (SPRs) storage.
It will be for the first time that India is doing partnership with other country for storing crude oil in the SPR storage for emergency purpose.
For this purpose UAE has agreed to give two-third of the oil to it for free.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Four Indian-Americans have been selected for the prestigious US National Academy of Engineering (NAE). NAE is a private non-profit governmental organization (NGO) in the United States, established in 1964 and is part of the US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Selected Indian-Americans are: – Arati Prabhakar, Anil K. Jain, Ganesh Thakur, and K.R. Sridhar.
1. The International Cricket Council (ICC) removed Delhi’s Ferozeshah Kotla from the list of venues for the 2016 World T20 Championships, on its official website. Four World T20 games was about to hosted by Kotla. But the venue has been dogged by controversies lately and its status as a host remains under question.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Tamar Hahn of Israel appointed as the Director of United Nations Information Centre in Buenos Aires by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Agartala-Akhaura railway link Project got a sum of Rs. 580 Crore from the Union Government, with aim to connect Kolkata (West Bengal) with Tripura via Bangladesh, by laying the five km railway track up to Bangladesh border from Agartala.
It’s a 15 km long strategic railway route that would connect the Indian Railways with the Bangladesh Railways.
10 km of it falls in the Bangladesh side and the rest 5 km falls in India.
The project is expected to complete by 2017.
It was started after the visit of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh to India in January 2010 when both countries had agreed to lay the railway track.
1. Aurobindo Mukherjee, a Veteran film director, passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal after suffering from geriatric problems. He was 97. The famous cult Bengali classics like ‘Mouchak, ‘Agniswar” and ‘Nishipadma’ were made by him.
2. Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, a Siachen soldier, died at an army hospital.
He was among 10 soldiers who were swept away by an ice wall on February 3 while guarding the Sonam post located some 20,500 feet high in the Himalayas.
He survived six days buried under a 25-feet avalanche in Siachen.