Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Uttar Pradesh Cabinet has given its approval to develop over 197 km long ‘bicycle highway’ from Agra up to the lion safari in Etawah to encourage eco-tourism in vicinity of Taj Mahal.
Decision in this regard was taken by State Cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
State Cabinet also approved the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana in the state from the Kharif season 2016.
Awards & Recognition:
1. US President Barack Obama has honoured an Indian-American elementary teacher Revathi Balakrishnan from Texas at the White House.
She was honoured for her excellent work in the field of education as part of the ‘National Teacher of the Year Programme.
National Teacher of the Year Programme identifies exceptional teachers across the US by recognising their effective work in the classroom.
It engages them in a year of professional learning and empowers them to participate in education policy discussions at the state and national levels.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee has presented the National Florence Nightingale Awards to thirty-five nursing personnel from across the country.
They were presented with the award at a function held in Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion of International Nurses Day (12 May).
The Florence Nightingale Award was established by the Union Health Ministry to honour the selfless services rendered by Nurses with devotion, sincerity, dedication and compassion.
The award is named after Florence Nightingale, founder of modern nursing.
She was born on May 12, 1820 and the day is celebrated as International Nurses Day all over the world.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Veteran cricket administrator Shashank Manohar was elected unopposed as ICC’s (International Cricket Council) first independent Chairman.
He was the sole nominee for the position and the ICC Board has now unanimously supported his appointment.
The amendments had abolished the post of the ICC President and created the post of independent Chairman.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Parliament has passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code Bill, 2016.
It was first passed in Lok Sabha and later in Rajya Sabha in the month of May, 2016.
The code seeks to ensure time-bound settlement of insolvency, faster turnaround of businesses and create a unified data base of serial defaulters.
Science & Technology:
1. Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Jio Infocomm has launched digital wallet service, named JioMoney Wallet, for Indian consumers.
JioMoney is a semi-closed prepaid wallet that aims to enable mobile-based transactions.
By using it customers can store money and use it for purchasing goods and services.
1. International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12.
It is the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth.
The IND theme for 2016 is “Nurses: A Force for Change: Improving health systems”.