1. India and Canada signed a nuclear agreement on supply of uranium to India. The agreement was signed between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. PM Modi is on a three-day official visit to Canada, which is the first bilateral visit by an Indian Prime Minister in 42 years.
2. The Delhi Government launched the third phase of the Mass Deworming Programme. The third phase aims to cover over 3.7 million children from 3032 schools and 11500 anganwadis as part of this statewide campaign.
3. The Prime Minister Narendra Modi gifted a miniature painting titled Guru Nanak Dev to Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper. Modi was on an official visit to Canada from 14 April to 16 April 2015. The painting is the work of Virendra Bannu, a Jaipur-based artist, who is the seventh generation artist in his family.
1. The Tennessee House of Representatives voted to make Andrew Jackson’s Bible as the official book of Tennessee, a US state. Now, the Bill will go to Senate for being passed and if it is passes in Senate then it will become an Official book of the state.
2. Pakistan and Russia agreed to hold first-ever joint military exercises as a part of their enhanced defence cooperation. The agreement was reached during the meet held in Moscow between Pakistan defence minister Khawaja Asif and his Russian counterpart Sergei Shoigu.
3. United Nations (UN) peace envoy to Yemen Jamal Benomar resigned. He was serving as UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s special envoy for Yemen since 2012.
4. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper presented ancient Indian sculpture Parrot Lady to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He was presented with the sculpture during his official visit to Canada.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Microsoft’s Indian-origin CEO Satya Nadella was honoured with the White House Champions of Change. He is one of the 12 local Champions of Change who were honoured for their exemplary leadership. Champions of Change honour is given to those who support working families and help make change in their companies or communities.
2. Professor Susanta Lahiri was awarded prestigious the Hevesy Medal Award 2015. The award was presented to him for his outstanding contributions in heavy ion induced radioisotope production, converter targets, tracer packet technique and green chemistry.
1. Vijender Gupta was appointed the leader of opposition (LoP) in the Delhi assembly with immediate effect.
1. Former Czech Republic Prime Minister Stanislav Gross passed away. He was 45. Stanislav Gross was the youngest PM of Czech Republic and was elected in July 2004 at the age of 34. He had led the Social Democrat government as PM for one year i.e. till 2005.