Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Utkarsh Bangla Scheme has been launched by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata.
- She also released a book on Utkarsh Bangla On this occasion.
- Objective of the scheme is to give vocational training to school dropouts by providing training ranging from 400 to 1200 hours free of charge.
2. Union Government has formally launched website for maiden Maritime India Summit 2016.
- It was scheduled to be held in April 2016.
- It will facilitate investors and participants to access detailed information about the summit, including registrations.
3. Environment Information System (ENVIS) portal and mobile application, has been launched by the Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar.
- ENVIS is central sector Scheme of the MOEFCC implemented since 1982.
- The purpose of the scheme is to integrate country-wide efforts in environmental information collection, storage, collation, retrieval and dissemination.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Japan has successfully launched ASTRO-H space observation satellite to probe mysterious black holes.
- It was launched by H2A rocket after it had successfully lifted off at the Tanegashima Space Centre.
- It has been equipped with four X-ray telescopes and two gamma-ray detectors and is designed to capture X-rays that cannot be detected on Earth because the planet’s atmosphere absorbs them.
Awards & Recognition:
1. David Shulman, a renowned Indologist Professor was awarded the prestigious Israel Prize for Religious Studies for his breakthrough research into the literature and culture of southern India by Israel’s Education Minister Naftali Bennett.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) of the World Trade Organization (WTO) has been approved by Union Cabinet.
- It approved the Notification of Commitments, its ratification and acceptance of the Instrument of Acceptance of Protocol of TFA to the WTO Secretariat.
- India is the 71st country to give nod to the agreement that seeks to ease customs procedures to boost commerce.
MoU & Mergers:
1. Tata Motors, Bharat Forge tied up for $11 billion Indian Army’s FICV Programme.
- FICV (Future Infantry Combat Vehicle) is an amphibious, tracked, armoured vehicle and will be operated by a crew of 3 members consisting of the commander, gunner and driver with an additional capacity to carry 7 fully equipped infantrymen.
- It will have the strike power of a 45 tonne Main Battle Tank (MBT) including rapid fire cannon, a 7.62 mm machine gun, grenade launcher and an anti-tank missile.
Science & Technology:
1. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) – India project to study gravitational waves has been approved by the Union Cabinet.
LIGO-India is a part of the IndIGO (Indian Initiative in Gravitational-wave Observations) initiative and seeks to move one Advanced LIGO detector from Hanford to India.
2. India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has launched ‘Japan Desk’, a single window for inbound Japanese investments in India and vice-versa.
- This is a first-of-its-kind initiative that seeks to facilitate Japanese corporates looking to invest in India with banking and advisory services.
- In future, SBI is also planning to set up another dedicated Japan Desk at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
1. Akbar Kakkattil, A renowned Malayalam writer passed away in Kozhikode, Kerala due to cancer. He was 62.
- He was born on 7 July 1954 at Kakkattil in Kozhikode District.
- He was known for giving birth to a new genre in Malayalam literature and his works are known for their unique narrative style which has an undertone of unfailing humour.