Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Kachhabali village in Bhim tehsil of Rajsamand district has become the first in Rajasthan to liquor-free village.
The village achieved this feat after villagers voted to close down its lone liquor shop to stop alcohol sale in village in the referendum by 67.11%.
It is for the first time the provision of the Rajasthan Excise Act, 1975, that provides for the closure of a country liquor shop, was invoked.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The fourth edition of Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) began in Washington, United States to discuss a gamut of issues pertaining to nuclear security.
In this edition of summit, heads of about 53 countries and representatives of five international organizations including the UNO, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), European Union (EU), and Interpol are taking part.
India is being represented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the two-day summit.
The fourth summit is the last summit under the current format and also under the presidency of Barack Obama.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan has been elected as first female house speaker by Vietnam’s National Assembly (NA).
She was sworn in as speaker after getting elected for the post with 472 (95.5%) yes votes in her favour out of 481 valid ballots at the ongoing 11th session of the 13th NA.
She was also elected as the Chairperson of the National Election Council of the Vietnam with 467 yes votes in her favour out of 477 valid ballots.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Bihar Government has banned the sale of country-made liquor and spiced liquor throughout the state in the first phase.
Person found indulging in manufacturing trade, transportation, sale and consumption of country-made and spiced liquor across the state will be punished under the stringent provisions of the Bihar Excise (Amendment) Act, 2016.
The Act has various stringent provisions including awarding ‘capital punishment’ for those who man.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. A memorandum of understanding has been signed between India & United States for setting up Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in India.
LIGO is a large-scale physics experiment and observatory to detect gravitational waves.
The MoU was signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington.
As part of the agreement, the scientists of DAE, DST and NSF will form a Joint Oversight Group (JOG) for better coordination of the project.
Science & Technology:
1. The Union Government has launched the Startup India portal http://startupindia.gov.in and mobile application.
It was launched by the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) Ramesh Abhishek in New Delhi as an integral component of the Action Plan of the Startup India.
It will provide up-to- date information issued by various Government ministries/ departments.
2. Researchers from the Purdue University in Indiana in United States have achieved a breakthrough by revealing the first 3D map of the Zika virus structure.
It is considered as one of the major breakthrough in the battle against the mosquito-borne Zika virus. Study in this regard was published in the journal Science.
It will help to compare structure of the virus to its related viruses such as dengue and West Nile virus which it does have some similarities.
1. Zaha Hadid, renowned Iraqi-born British architect passed away due to heart attack. She was 65.
She was world’s most famous female architect and was known for her neofuturistic design which was her signature architectural style.
She was the first female winner of the top Pritzker Architecture Prize (2004), also known as the Nobel for architecture.