Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Kalikho Pul has been sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh after Governor JP Rajkhowa used his discretionary powers to appoint him.
- He was administered oath to the office and secrecy by Governor in a simple function at Raj Bhawan in Itanagar.
- Earlier, President’s Rule under Article 356 was lifted in the state after President Pranab Mukherjee had given his assent to it. This had paved the way for government formation.
2. Christine Lagarde (60) from France has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the International Monetary Fund for a second five-year term.
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is an organization of 188 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation, facilitate international trade, secure financial stability, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth and reduce poverty around the world.
- Christine Lagarde had also served as Minister of Finance and Minister for Foreign Trade of France.
MoU & Mergers:
1. A memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed between Prasar Bharati and Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC).
- The MoU was signed in connection with several broadcast related activities including exchange of news, programmes and co-production.
- The MoU includes long list of Indian programmes to be broadcast on EBC network including documentaries, science programs, serials and Portuguese programs from Goa.
Science & Technology:
1. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully conducted hotbed test of the indigenously developed high-thrust cryogenic engine (CE20) of the GSLV Mark 3 (LVM3) rocket for the upper stage.
- The long-duration test was conducted at ISRO Propulsion Research Centre at Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu and lasted for 640 seconds. It was conducted with Mixture Ratio Controller (MRC) in a closed loop mode.
- It has been developed indigenously by Mahendragiri based Liquid Propulsion System centre (LPSC).
2. Scientists have discovered five new Jupiter-like planets that are similar in characteristics to our solar system’s biggest planet and were designated as WASP-119 b, WASP-124 b, WASP-126 b, WASP-129 b and WASP-133 b.
- They orbit very close to their host stars and hot compared to Jupiter.
- These planets were discovered by researchers from Keele University in UK by using Wide Angle Search for Planets-South (WASP-South) instrument.
1. US writer Harper Lee passed away in Monroeville, Alabama, US at the age of 89.
- She was born as Nelle Harper Lee on April 28, 1926 in Monroeville, Alabama, US.
- She had authored a novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ released in 1960 which had become a classic of modern American literature. It has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.