Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Daily Edition, loaded with GK updates, Current Affairs and all major happenings across the Globe. With GK Eduwrap you can now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section. Good Luck
1. Mirage 2000 fighter jet of Indian air force (IAF) landed successfully on Yamuna Expressway as part of developing road runaway for emergency landing. It’s a kind of first for military aviation in India. IAF conducted the successful trial run of landing on Yamuna Expressway near Mathura under the plan of use of national highways in emergency situations.
2. Ecologists found a new species of fish called Pethia striata in Tunga River in the Kudremukh National Park, Karnataka. The male of the species measures 3 – 4 cm in length and is red in colour, while the female is grey with a striking pattern of scales.
3. Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the new headquarter of Coal India Ltd. at New Town Rajarhat in West Bengal.
4. Union finance Ministry constituted Shah Committee to look into the issue of Minimum Alternate Tax (MAT) on Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs).
The committee will be headed by Justice A P Shah while the other members are Dr. Girish Ahuja, a chartered accountant and former Associate Professor of Commerce, Shri Ram College of Commerce, University of Delhi and Dr. Ashok Lahiri, former Chief Economic Adviser and Executive Director, ADB and currently Chairman of High Level Committee to interact with Trade and Industry on tax laws.
5. Maharashtra Government has decided to allow women employees to work in night shifts. In this regard, state government is going to amend Section 66(1) (c) Factories Act 1948, thus making the way for women employees to work in night shifts.
6. India has ranked 24th out of 70 countries in the first Environmental Democracy Index (EDI). The index was recently released by Washington-based World Resources Institute (WRI) and Access Initiative.
Top ten countries are: Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, United States, South Africa, United Kingdom, Hungary, Bulgaria, Panama and Colombia.
7. Union Cabinet has approved continuation of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) programme for another fifteen operational flights of PSLV-C36 to PSLV-C50.
8. Union Cabinet has approved the revival of closed urea unit of Fertilizer Corporation India Limited (FICL) at Sindri in Jharkhand with an investment of 6000 crore rupees.
1. President of the United States (US) Barack Obama entered Guinness Book of World Record for reaching a million followers in a span of mere 5 hours after going live.
2. Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants seized full control of ancient city of Palmyra in Syria. It is an oasis in the Syrian Desert.
Mergers & Acuisition:
1. HDFC Bank, India’s second largest private bank by assets, picks up minority stake in CarDekho.
1. Union Government has decided to amend Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) norms for NRIs, Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) to increase capital flows into the country.
Science & Technology:
1. Kepler and Swift spacecraft of NASA provided supporting evidence and the first direct measurement of supernovae (stellar explosions) which can enable scientists to understand what causes supernovae.
The studies proved that Type Ia supernovae, which produce unprecedented brightness, can either be caused by merging with another white dwarf or by pulling too much matter from a nearby companion star. A white dwarf is the Earth-sized remnant of a star like the sun.
1. Anti-Terrorism Day was observed across India on 21st May 2015. The day is annually observed on the death anniversary of seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi who was assassinated at an election rally near Chennai by a suicide bomber from the LTTE on 21st May 1991.