Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Seven more capital cities, including Bengaluru, allowed to enter the smart city competition.
Union Minister for Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Venkaiah Naidu announced that seven more capital cities will be allowed to enter the smart city competition.
They are Patna, Shimla, Naya Raipur, Itanagar, Amaravati, Bengaluru and Thiruvananthapuram.
Lucknow, Warangal and Panaji are among the 13 smart cities selected by the Union government.
A ‘smart city’ is an urban region that is highly advanced in terms of overall infrastructure, sustainable real estate, communications and market viability.
International – Across the Globe:
1. United States has fully lifted its embargo on sales of lethal weapons to Vietnam, its one-time enemy.
By this US removed a lingering vestige of the Cold War that was seen in South East Asia in 1970’s.
US President Barack Obama announced it during his official state visit to Vietnam and after talks with Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang.
He is the third US President to visit Vietnam since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975.
Other two Presidents were Bill Clinton (visited in 2000) and George W. Bush (2006).
1. Mohun Bagan FC has won the 2016 Indian Federation Cup football tournament title for the 14th time.
They have won the tournament after a gap of 8 years and last was won in 2008.
In the final match they defeated Aizawl FC by 5-0 goals.
The match was played at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati (Assam).
For Mohun Bagan FC the Jeje Lalpekhlua scored two goals while Haitian Sony Norde, Dhanachandra Singh and Bikramjit Singh scored one each.
2. Pankaj Advani, India’s ace cueist, has created history by clinching the Asian 6-Red Snooker title held in Abu Dhabi.
By getting this victory, Advani became the first cueist in the world to hold both world and continental titles in 6-red snooker at the same time.
In the Asian 6-Red Snooker title held in Abu Dhabi, Advani defeated top seeded Malaysian cueist Keen Hoh Moh by 7-5 score.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. S. K. Sharma, a renowned scientist was appointed the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL).
He will now be responsible for design, construction, commissioning and operation of nuclear power reactors.
He has been appointed to the new post for a period of five years.
Currently, he is working as Distinguished Scientist and Director (Operations) in NPCIL.
NPCIL is a government-owned corporation responsible for the generation of nuclear power for electricity.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) has signed a MoU with Iranian Mines and Mining Industries Development and Renovation Organization (IMIDRO).
The signing of the MoU coincided with the official two days state visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Iran.
The purpose of the MoU is to explore the possibility of setting up smelter- cum-gas based power plant on joint venture in Iran for the proposed smelter plant in Chabahar Free Trade Zone.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. According to a Crisil report, remittances from the Gulf nations to India declined for the first time in six years due to sliding oil prices.
It fell by 2.2 per cent in 2015-16 but the slide had also resulted in a contraction of oil imports, which offset the drop.
Falling oil prices have had a sweeping impact on the oil producing economies of GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council), severely denting their oil revenues and spending by both governments and households
Science & Technology:
1. The Indian Navy has commissioned indigenously built highly maneuverable Fast Attack Craft INS Tarmugli at the commissioning ceremony held in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
INS Tarmugli will be based in Visakhapatnam under the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Andhra Pradesh).
It would be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.