1. Government of Delhi gave its approval for setting up of a farmer compensation scheme named after Gajendra Singh. Gajendra Singh is the person who allegedly committed suicide during an AAP (Aam Aadmi Party) rally on 22nd April 2015 by hanging himself with a tree.
2. Novelist Siddhartha Gigoo has won 2500 pounds 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize in Asia region for his novel Umbrella Man.
3. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) ordered a complete ban on burning of any kind of garbage, leaves, plastic waste and rubber in the open in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) to control air pollution. The order was given by a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar.
1. Calbuco volcano of Chile erupted twice after 42 years. Tonnes of ash rained down following two volcanic eruptions leading to declaration of state of emergency by President Michelle Bachelet.
2. Japan and the United States (US) signed a new set of defence agreements that allow for greater co-operation between their militaries. Both the countries have revised their defence deal after 18 years to deal with growing global security concern.
3. Loretta Lynch has sworn-in as United States’ first African-American woman Attorney General. She is 83rd Attorney General of country.
4. Sri Lankan Parliament has amended the constitution to reduce the power of Executive President and to put into place a Constitutional Council for making key government appoints.
The bill brings reforms to
->Ensure an independent judiciary and police.
->Curbs and checks President’s power to dissolve the parliament.
->Two-term limit of Presidents is restored.
->The term of the President is reduced from 6 to 5 years.
1. Saudi King Salman appointed Interior Minister Mohammed Bin Nayef as his new heir, replacing the monarch’s half brother Prince Muqrin, and made his son, Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman, second in line to succeed.
1. Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) won 5th Senior Men’s National Hockey championship 2015. In the final match played in Pune, Maharashtra, Railways defeated Uttar Pradesh Hockey (UPH) by 5-3.
• Best Goalkeeper: Arpit Choudhary (Jharkhand)
• Best Defender: Amit Rohidas (Railways)
• Best Mid-fielder: Jasjit Singh (Railways)
• Best Forward: Lali Upadhyay (Uttar Pradesh)
• Promising player of the Championship: Vikramjit Singh (Punjab)
• Promising player from Maharashtra: Akash Chikte (Goalkeeper)
2. World Champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway won the Shamkir chess tournament held in Shamkir city of Azerbaijan. He defeated Azerbaijani Rauf Mamedov in the last and final round to finish the tournament with 7 points.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Margarita, with a Straw directed by Shonali Bose of India in the fourth week of April 2015 won the Audience Award for Best Feature Film at the Washington DC International Film festival. Kalki Koechlin-starrer film is a disability drama. In the film, Kalki has played the role of a cerebral palsy patient named Laila. The film also stars Revathi and Sayani Gupta in prominent roles.
Mergers & Acquistion:
1. French IT services firm Capgemini has announced its plan to acquire US based information technology (IT) outsourcer IGATE for US 4 billion dollars. This acquisition will help Capgemini to strengthen its foothold in the North American market.
Science & Technology:
1. INS Tarangini, the Sail Training Ship of Indian Navy, on 27th April 2015 left Kochi for Lokayan 2015. The theme for Lokayan -15 is Taking for a Broader Reach. As part of Lokayan-15, Tarangini will be on an eight month voyage through Europe and will participate in the annual Tall Ship Races and other events organised under the aegis of Sail Training International. During these eight months the ship will travel approximately 17 thousand miles under sails.
2. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested an indigenous cryogenic engine. The powerful version of the cryogenic engine was tested successfully at ISRO’s propulsion complex at Mahendragiri in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu. A team headed by Director D Karthikesan had led the testing.
1. The Oscar-winning cinematographer Andrew Lesnie passed away following a fatal heart attack. He was 59.
1. World Dance Day or International Dance Day was observed globally on 29th April 2015. It is observed with an aim to attract the attention of the wider public to the art of dance.