Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
1. Real Madrid won the 2016 European champions title. In the titled clash, Real Madrid defeated their city rivals Atletico Madrid via a penalty shoot-out following a 1-1 draw.
This was Madrid’s 11th European Champion title.
2. Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) has won the ninth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). It is their maiden IPL title.
In the final match played at Chinnaswamy stadium in Bangalore (Karnataka), SRH defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by eight runs. However the RCB failed to reach the target score.
It should be noted that RCB has lost 3 finals after they were defeated in finals of 2009 and 2011 editions.
Ben Cutting (SRH) was declared as Man of the Match.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Indian-American scientist Arnab De in May 2016 received the prestigious Springer Theses award.
He was awarded for his research in which he developed transgenic mice to study a critical tumor-suppressor called A20.
His thesis was nominated by New York’s Columbia University.
Earlier, his project in which he developed peptide-based prodrugs as therapeutics for diabetes, had received the Young Investigator Award at the American Peptide Symposium.
He dedicated his PhD thesis to cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar and his alma mater, Kolkata’s Presidency University.
2. The President of India Pranab Mukherjee presented the Malti Gyan Peeth Puraskar for the year 2016 at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The award was conferred upon 15 teachers from Punjab for their rare contribution in the field of education.
The awardees were facilitated with 1 lakh rupees cash, certificate of excellence, a Robe of Honour and a medal.
The initiative was mainly taken to promote the quality teaching in the schools besides encouraging the hundred percent attendance of girl students in the government schools.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Vice-Admiral A R Karve took charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command (SNC).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in May 2016 signed a series of twelve agreements in Tehran.
The most important of these 12 agreements is the trilateral transit agreement between India, Iran and Afghanistan.
In the deal, India offered to develop the Port of Chabahar in order to allow Indian goods to be exported to Iran, with the possibility of onward connections to Afghanistan and Central Asia.
Science & Technology:
1. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has successfully deployed the first experimental inflatable room attached to the International Space Station (ISS).
The experimental inflatable room dubbed as BEAM (Bigelow Expandable Activity Module) was deployed after it was successfully expanded and pressurized.
2. Nine-coach Spanish train Talgo’s trial run was conducted on 29 May 2016 on the Bareilly-Moradabad route of Uttar Pradesh. It was conducted as part of the Railways’ strategy to increase the speed of trains.
The trail run was conducted by a joint team of the Railway Design Standards Organization (RDSO) and Spanish train manufacturer Talgo.
1. The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers 2016 was observed on 29 May 2016 with the theme Honoring Our Heroes.
The day offers a chance to pay tribute to the Blue Helmets’ invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3400 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 128 in 2015.
On the other hand, the UN Postal Administration (UNPA) also issued a set of six new stamps for the occasion.
2. Aditi Krishnakumar, an Indian woman author in Singapore, in fourth week of May 2016 won the ‘Scholastic Asian Book Award’.
She was awarded for her 32000-word manuscript “Codex: The Lost Treasure of the Indus”.