1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi joined Chinese social media platform Weibo. Weibo is the main microblogging service of China. Weibo is often referred to as Twitter of China.
2. The Union Cabinet approved the 119th Constitutional Amendment Bill on Land Boundary Agreement (LBA) between India and Bangladesh. Under the land boundary agreement, India and Bangladesh will exchange several enclaves which are under each other’s adverse possession. The bill also includes the territories in Assam in addition to territories of West Bengal, Tripura and Meghalaya.
3. Rahul Yadav, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Housing.com. He founded the company with a bunch of IIT Bombay graduates in June 2012.
4. Haryana government notified 163 services under Haryana Right to Service Act, 2014. The notification was released with a view to provide time bound and hassle-free services to the citizens. These services would be provided in prescribed time period and on case of unnecessary delay, the concerned official would have to pay fine.
5. Rajasthan Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Health Mission (NHM), UNICEF and GAIN (Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition) in Jaipur to tackle the severe problem of malnourishment of the state. Initially, the programme will be implemented in thirteen districts in which more than 10000 children have been identified as malnourished.
6. Maharashtra government has decided to bring down the crop loss percentage to 33% from existing 50%. The crop loss percentage is crucial in awarding compensation to farmers whose crop is hit by natural calamities.
1. France signed a 7.02 billion USD agreement with Qatar to supply 24 Dassault Aviation-built Rafale fighter jets. This is the third contract to sell Rafale Fighter jets after contracts with Egypt and India. Agreement was signed by the French President Francois Hollande and Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani in Doha, Qatar.
1. Lu Ping, the Chinese diplomat who oversaw Hong Kong’s transition from British to Chinese sovereignty in 1997, died in Beijing on 3rd May 2015. He was 87.
1. World Asthma Day 2015 was observed globally on 5th May 2015. Theme of the year is You Can Control Your Asthma and sub-theme is It’s Time to Control Asthma. World Asthma Day takes place on the first Tuesday of May. The inaugural World Asthma Day was held in 1998.
Science & Technology:
1. Indian Army inducted the first regiment of the indigenously-developed surface-to-air Akash missile system. Each regiment of Akash missile in the Indian Army consists of six launchers with each launcher having three missiles. Indian Army had placed orders for two regiments worth about 19,000 crore rupees. The first regiment will be ready by July 2015 and the second one by the end of 2016.
2. Microsoft has launched a cloud computing-based offering Edu-Cloud with an aim to Make Learning Fun. It seeks to enhance digital learning and teaching in schools and higher education institutions in India through virtual learning platforms. It is expected, Edu-Cloud will benefit around 1 million teachers and 6 million students in over 1,500 institutes across India in next 18 months.
3. National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited has signed a pact with Jharkhand government to setup a 4,000 MW Patratu power plant in the state. As per the pact, NTPC and Jharkhand Bidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited will establish a Joint Venture (JV) company for the project as well as for reviving the Patratu Thermal Power Station (PTPS).