Grab your daily scoop of Current Affairs, from National to International, Sports, Business and Economics. Learn wisely and Gain better with Eduncle’s GK Eduwrap!
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has selected Nagepur village in his Varanasi Constituency of Lok Sabha in Uttar Pradesh under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY).
Key objectives of SAGY are: –
- The development of model villages, called Adarsh Grams, through the implementation of existing schemes, and certain new initiatives to be designed for the local context, which may vary from village to village.
- Creating models of local development which can be replicated in other villages.
- Earlier in the first phase of SAGY, PM had adopted Jayapur village in Sevapuri Assembly segment of Varanasi in 2014.
2. The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has released a new Four-colour Classification Scheme for industries based on their pollution potential.
- The four-colour classification scheme of industrial sectors based on the Pollution Index (PI) which is a function of the Emissions (air pollutants), Effluents (water pollutants), hazardous wastes generated and Consumption of resources.
- The Pollution Index (PI) of any industrial sector is a number ranging from 0 to 100. Increasing value of PI denotes the increasing degree of pollution load from the industrial sector.
1. Patna Pirates has won the third season of Star Sports Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) by defeating U Mumba.
- Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) is a professional Kabaddi (indigenous sport) league based on the format of the Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 cricket tournament.
- Rohit Kumar (Patna Pirates) was awarded Best Raider and Mohit Chillar (U Mumba) was awarded Best Defender of the Match.
2. India has won the 2016 Asia Cup T20 trophy for a record sixth time after beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets in the final.
- 2016 Asia Cup was held in Bangladesh from 24 February to 6 March 2016. It was the 13th edition of the Asia Cup.
- Man of the Match: Shikhar Dhawan.
- Man of the series: Sabbir Rahman (Bangladesh).
- Most runs in the series: Sabbir Rahman (176) of Bangladesh.
- Most wickets in the series: Al-Amin Hossain (11) of Bangladesh.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Padma Sachdev, renowned Dogri poetess and write has been awarded prestigious Krutitava Smagra Samman for the year 2015.
- Dogri is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in India and Pakistan. In India, it is chiefly spoken in states like Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and northern Punjab. Dogri speakers are called Dogras and the Dogri-speaking region is called Duggar.
- Padma Sachdev is first modern woman poet of Dogri language. She also writes in Hindi.
- She was bestowed with this award for her outstanding contribution in literature and great service to Dogri Language. It was presented to her by West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has been granted preliminary approval to operate Myanmar.
- SBI was granted operating licence by Myanmar Government along with three other Asian banks.
- Under the earlier junta rule, Myanmar’s banking system was closed for decades to outside competition.
2. Jalandhar based Capital Local Area Bank (CLAB) Limited became the first financial entity in India to get Small Financial Bank Licence by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The small finance bank will undertake basic banking activities of acceptance of deposits and lending to unserved and underserved to further financial inclusion in the country.
- CLAB ltd claims to be largest local bank in the country with total 44 branches in five districts of Punjab.
- It will begin its operations as a small finance bank from April 13, 2016 and it will focus on the northern region for first five years of operations.
Science & Technology:
1. Researchers have discovered new species of burrowing snake named Melanophidium Khairei or Khaire’s Black Shieldtail in Northwestern Ghats.
- This new snake species was correctly identified after a gap of 144 years as it was earlier wrongly identified as identified as Melanophidium Punctatum or Pied-bellied Shieldtail.
- The snake belongs to family Uropeltidae, which comprises all species which are burrowers and live mostly underground.
- It is burrowing snake of the genus melanophidium. It is found in evergreen forests and rarely above ground in southern Maharashtra, Goa and northern Karnataka.
1. Kalabhavan Mani, renowned Malayalam actor passed away at Kochi, Kerala due to liver and kidney failure. He was 45.
- He had entered Malayalam film industry as a comedian, later became an active artiste in South Indian films. He is best known for essaying character of villain roles.
- He had had acted in over 200 films in Malayalam and other South Indian languages including Tamil, and Telugu films.
- He was also a singer and his first album was Kannimanga Prayathil. Folk songs rendered by him are extremely popular.
- He had won the National Film Award and Kerala State Film Award in Special Jury Award in 1999 for his performance as Ramu in Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum.
- In 2002, he was also awarded Filmfare Awards in Best Villan (Tamil) category for the film Gemini.
2. Raymond Tomlinson, the Internet pioneer and e-mail inventor passed away in Washington, United States. He was 74 years old.
- Tomlinson invented direct electronic messages between users on different machines on a certain network in 1971.
- His inventions incuded the ARPANET system which is considered as the precursor to the Internet.
- He was the receipent of the IEEE Internet Award (2004) and George R. Stibitz Computer Pioneer Award (2000).