Get your thirst for all the current affairs and general knowledge quenched at Eduncle. Get an insight into GK Eduwrap – Monthly. Click to download in PDF format!
1. The Union Government has launched inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) injection as part of the global polio endgame strategy in New Delhi.
2. Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has launched Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme to boost the quality of higher education in India through International Collaboration.
About Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme
GIAN Scheme aims at Facilitating participation of high quality international academicians for delivering short-term courses and programs in Indian institutions.
Initially 500 international faculties will be engaged in conducting courses and later in subsequent years 1000 faculties would be engaged under GIAN throughout India.
Under this scheme, academicians will cover 13 disciplines and 352 courses to be taught in 68 national institutions.
These courses will vary in duration from one to three weeks depending on the subject and will be free for students of the host institution and available for nominal fees for others.
These courses will be webcasted live for students across the country through web portal gian.iitkgp.ac.in designed by IIT Kharagpur.
3. Jharkhand government has declared the entire state as drought hit in view of less rainfall in 2015 monsoon season and loss of crops.
4. India has been ranked 131 out of 167 nations on ICT Development Index (IDI) that measures the level of information and communication technology access.
Top three countries in IDI 2015: South Korea, Denmark and Iceland.
5. Goa Government has launched the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013 to benefit more than one third of the state’s population.
It will bring more than one third population of the coastal state into legal entitlements of existing food security programs and schemes of Central Government.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved proposal of setting up of 6 new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) across the country.
The 6 new IITs would be set up in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, Kerala and Karnataka.
7. Union Government has released a commemorative postage stamp to mark the Centenary year of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
8. The World Health Organization released its first ever report on foodborne diseases.
The report provides the first estimates of global foodborne disease incidence, mortality, and disease burden in terms of Disability Adjusted Life Years (DALYs).
9. Union Minister of Finance, Arun Jaitley, and Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot launched Accessible India Campaign or Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
Accessible India Campaign is a nationwide campaign that aims at enabling persons with disabilities to gain universal access, equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in all aspects of life in an inclusive society.
10. Allahabad High Court in its judgment has made married daughters of deceased government employees eligible for appointments on compassionate grounds in government jobs.
11. Uttar Pradesh Government has launched International festival on Birds to promote state as an international bird-watching destination.
The first-of-its-kind festival was inaugurated by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav at the National Chambal Sanctuary (NCS).
12. The Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekarreleased the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2015.
The report states that India’s forest and tree cover has been increased by 5081 sq km.
The total forest and tree cover is 79.42 million hectare, which is 24.16 percent of the total geographical area.
While the total forest cover of the country has increased by 3775 sq km, the tree cover has gone up by 1306 sq km.
13. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved creation of buffer stock of pulses to deal with wide fluctuation in prices of pulses and check food inflation.
The buffer stock will be created by the procurement and would be valid for fiscal year 2015-16.
14. Delhi Government announced vehicle rationing scheme to curb air pollution in the city.
The primary objective of the initiative is to halve the vehicular population in the city and thereby to bring pollution levels under control.
In the first phase of the scheme, vehicles with odd and even number plates would be allowed to run on alternate days between 1 January and 15 January 2016 in the capital city.
While the odd-numbered vehicles will play on odd dates, the even-numbered vehicles would play on even dates.
15. National Commission for Safai Karamcharis presented its Annual Report 2014-15 to the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thawar Chand Gehlot.
16. Two Indian cities, Varanasi and Jaipur, have made it to the Creative City Network of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for the first time ever.
17. The Maharashtra government constituted a task force for setting up an International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) in Mumbai.
The task force includes
Union Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha (chairman)
Lok Sabha MP from Mumbai North Central Poonam Mahajan (deputy chairman)
Maharashtra Chief Secretary Swadheen Kshtriya
MMRDA Commissioner UPS Madan
Principal Secretary Urban development Nitin Kareer
A representative from the Department of Economic Affairs, Union Government
OSD in the Chief Ministers Office (CMO) Kaustubh Dhavse will be Member Convener.
18. To deal with traffic violations in the city, the Delhi Traffic Policewill start implementation of recommendations of the Supreme Court appointed committee chaired by Justice KS Radhakrishnan from 15th December 2015.
With this, Delhi Traffic Police is the first in the country to implement the directions of the Supreme Court appointed three-member committee on Road Safety.
19. The Supreme Court (SC) banned the registration of all diesel SUVs and luxury cars with engine capacity of 2000 cc or more in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) region till 31 March 2016.
20. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is liable to disclose information about the banks and financial institutions for their action against the loan defaulters including industrialists under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, 2005 as declared by the Supreme Court.
21. Supreme Court said that temple priests should be appointed as per ancient Hindu rituals (Agamas).
It said that such appointments in accordance with Agamas do not violate the right of equality.
22. The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has launched three separate indices on three corporate houses of India viz. Tata, Aditya Birla and Mahindra Group.
These house have been designed to reflect the performance of companies belonging to the respective corporate group.
23. United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted resolution cut off supply of revenue flows to Islamic State (IS) militant group. Decision in this regard was taken at the first-ever meeting of finance ministers of 15 member states to support a diplomatic push to end the war in Syria.
24. IT major Tech Mahindra has launched first of its kind ‘Tap N Pay’ contact less digital payment wallet MoboMoney for the Indian masses.
25. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the new building of Afghanistan Parliament in the capital city Kabul built by India.
26. Delhi Government has released a detailed blueprint for its ambitious Odd-Even formula for road-rationing plan to check pollution in the national capital.
The Odd-Even formula plan seeks to curb the number of vehicles plying in the national capital by limiting four-wheelers on alternate days.
27. North India’s first cable-stayed bridge named Atal Setu was inaugurated on Dunera-Basohli-Bhadharwah road in Basohali town in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir.
28. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) released the 2015 OPEC World Oil Outlook (WOO).
29. The Union Government has notified the revised standards for coal-based Thermal Power Plants in the country with the primary aim of minimizing pollution.
The new standards are aimed at bringing an improvement in the Nation Ambient Air Quality (AAQ) index around and in thermal power plants.
30. India has joined select club nations to build Liquefied natural gas (LNG) ships after state owned Cochin Shipyard has received certification in this regard.
Cochin Shipyard also became first shipyard in India to get the nod to build LNG-transporting ships for any client world-wide.
31. The Union Minister of Human Resource Development Zubin Irani launched the 6th All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) in New Delhi.
The survey covers all the Higher Education (HE) institutions of the country including Universities, Colleges and Stand-Alone institutions from 2010-11 to 2014-15.
It brings out the correct and complete picture of the higher education system so that relevant statistics are available to the Central Government as well as State Governments in order to devise future educational policies.
32. The Odisha Government launched Anwesha scheme to provide free education to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students.
33. Mother Teresa, a Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary will be given Sainthood i.e. will be made a saint of the Roman Catholic Church in September 2016.
34. Union Minister of Agriculture Radha Mohan Singh announced that Union Government had been taking considerable steps to improve production of pulses in order to reduce country’s dependence on imports.
1. For the first time in history of make dominated country, Saudi Arabia, women were allowed to vote and become candidates in local elections.
2. India and France launched the International Solar Alliance in Paris.
Highlights of the alliance
It aims to bring 121 tropical countries together to tap solar energy.
The Alliance will enable solar-rich developing countries to make the best use of an abundant, free natural resource.
It seeks to share collective ambitions to reduce the cost of finance and technology that is needed to deploy solar power widely.
It would adapt the generation and storage technologies to the individual countries’ needs.
Among the tasks that the Alliance would pursue are, cooperation in training, building institutions, regulatory issues, common standards, and investment including joint ventures.
3. World leaders launched Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution across the world.
The mission was launched by 20 participating countries, including India, at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris-Le Bourget, France.
4. International Monetary Fund (IMF) has included China’s Yuan into its elite reserve currency basket mainly used as an international reserve asset.
5. China hosted the first Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) media summit in Beijing for creating an alternative media platform for the 5 emerging economies.
6. Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a 60 billion dollars package to African nations during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The package will benefit Africa in 10 major areas (sectors) such as-
Industry, infrastructure, agriculture, financial services, trade and investment facilitation, green development, poverty reduction and public welfare, public health, peace and security and people-to-people exchanges.
With this package, China is seeking to expand its investments in resource-rich Africa which can help it to absorb its excess manufacturing capacity.
It is also consider as part of its efforts to re-engage with the continent and integrate it within its ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) and Maritime Silk Route connectivity framework.
7. Myanmar launched its first UNSECO Biosphere Reserve Inle Lake in Shan state. The Inle Lake was designated as UNESCO Biosphere reserve in Paris in June 2015.
8. India and United Kingdom launched a joint initiative 2016: UK-INDIA Year of Education and Research in New Delhi.
It was launched by visiting Secretary of State, Business Innovation and Skill of the UK Sajid Javid along with Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Smriti Irani.
9. US House of Representatives passed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement Act of 2015. It amends the United States’ visa travel practices.
The lawmakers voted 407 to 19 in support of the Bill that seeks to impose restrictions on people who have visited Iraq, Syria and countries listed as supporting terrorism to travel visa-free to the United States.
10. Saudi Arabia announced the launch of Islamic Military Coalition to counter terrorism. The coalition will be led by Saudi Arabia and see the participation of 34 nations.
11. World Bank Group and FIRST Initiative launched Principles for Public Credit Guarantee Schemes (CGSs).
The principles provide a generally accepted set of good practices that can serve as a global reference for the design, execution and evaluation of public CGSs that serve small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
12. The European Commission (EC) adopted the proposal for a European Border and Coast Guard force to protect Europe’s external border and Schengen area without internal border.
13. Ruling conservative People’s Party (PP) of Spain led Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy by has won the 2015 general election of the country.
14. The United States (US) has lifted a 40 year ban on oil exports marking a historic shift for the booming US oil industry.
This move will help in economic growth and in turn create jobs along with new revenues, prosperity and enhanced energy security for other countries.
It would pave the way for energy deficient countries including India to open up another frontier and diversify import basket of oil from US.
1. Former Indian Test Captain and ace spinner Anil Kumble has resigned as the Chief Mentor of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Mumbai Indians with an immediate effect.
2. Polish professional footballer Robert Lewandowski’s nine-minute, five-goal haul for German Football Club Bayern Munich against Wolfsburg was officially recognized by Guinness World Record.
3. India’s Thakur Anoop Singh won gold medal in the 7th WBPF World Bodybuilding and Physique Championships.
He won the medal in the fitness physique category.
4. The November edition of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings was released on 3rd December 2015.
Top 10 teams in November 2015 edition
Belgium – 1st Position
Argentina – 2nd Position
Spain – 3rd Position
Germany – 4th Position
Chile – 5th Position
Brazil – 6th Position
Portugal – 7th Position
Columbia – 8th Position
England – 9th Position
Austria – 10th Position.
5. World number one women shuttler Carolina Marin from Spain has won the 2015 Female Badminton Player of the Year award.
6. Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma became the co-owner of the Pro Wrestling League team, UP Warriors.
7. China’s Chen Long and all England and World champion Carolina Marin bagged the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Male and Female Player of the Year Awards respectively in Dubai.
8. Indian cyclist Deborah Herold became the first Indian female cyclist to be ranked fourth in the World Elite Women Ranking for the 500m time trial event.
9. Kerala’s Elizabeth Susan Koshy won the Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions Gold at the 59th National Shooting Championships held at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting range in New Delhi.
10. Olympic medalist Vijay Kumar of Indian Army has won gold medal at the 59th National Shooting Championship held in New Delhi.
Other winners in the Championship are –
25m standard pistol event: Gurpreet Singh (Indian Army)
Rapid fire pistol: Pemba Tamang (Indian Army)
Air pistol & Standard pistol events: Achal Pratap Singh Grewal.
11. India’s star golfer Anirban Lahiri has won the coveted Order of Merit crown of Asian Tour for year 2015.
12. Apurvi Chandela from Rajasthan has won a Gold medal in the 59th National Shooting Championship in Delhi.
13. Four Indian boxers, namely Shiva Thapa, Mandeep Jangra, Gaurav Bidhuri and Sumit Sangwan were selected by the International Olympics Committee (IOC) for a scholarship.
Under the scholarship, the boxers will get a sum of 800 US dollars (about INR 53,000) every month till August 2016.
14. Australian cricketer Steve Smithhas been named Cricketer of the Year for 2015 at the International Cricket Council (ICC) Awards ceremony in Dubai.
15. New Zealand cricket team captain Brendon McCullumhas announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket viz., tests, ODIs and twenty20.
He will retire after playing the two home test series against Australia in February 2016.
16. Andy Murray of the UK received the 2015 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award in London.
17. Chennaiyin FC has won the second edition of Indian Super League (ISL) Football tournament.
18. Barcelona FC has won the 2015 FIFA Club World Cup for a record third time.
19. India’s Abhay Singh won the Under-19 Singapore Squash Open.
20. Bengaluru FC (BFC) midfielder Eugeneson Lyngdoh and striker Bala Devi was named the 2015 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player-of-the-Year and woman Footballer-of-the-Year respectively.
21. Kane Williamson became the first cricketer from New Zealand to top the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) Test rankings.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Hinduja Brothers were honored with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) Series in Dubai.
2. President Pranab Mukharjee presented Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE awards 2015 to a total of 40 school students of 27 districts from 18 states.
3. The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) was awarded with the E-India Award for adopting technology to serve the public better and using resources efficiently through mobile applications.
4. Renowned violinist Lakshminarayana Subramaniam will be honored with the Sangeet Samman at the ITC Sangeet Sammelan 2015 beginning on 4th December 2015 at the Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata.
5. Pulin Kumar, Group Senior Legal and Compliance Director of Adidas India was conferred with the Indian National Bar Association’s (INBA) General Counsel of the year 2015 – Retail Award in New Delhi.
6. Himachal Pradesh became the first state of India to launch Rotavirus vaccination project.
The vaccine will help in controlling the child mortality rate (under five years of age) due to diarrhea.
7. Time magazine has named German Chancellor Angela Merkel as Person of the Year 2015.
She was named for her role in Europe’s crises over migration and Greek debt as she had provided steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply.
8. Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist Frank Islam has been selected for the prestigious 2015 Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award.
9. Hyderabad-based Hetero Drugs announced that it received the approval of Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) to launch fixed-dose combination therapy Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir.
10. Global software giant Wipro announced that it won the 2015 Aegis Graham Bell Award for developing a solution for the Internet of Things (IoT).
11. India-born author Salman Rushdie was awarded the prestigious Mailer Prize for lifetime achievement.
American experimental performance artist Laurie Anderson presented the award to Rushdie at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York City.
The prestigious Mailer Prize honours writers who fully exercise their freedom of creativity and thrive on dialogue and debate.
12. Veteran Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah has been honored with the lifetime achievement award at the 12th edition of Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF).
13. As per the 2015 Human Development Report 2015 released by United Nations Development Program (UNDP), India has been indexed at 130th position among 188 countries.
14. Israeli-American violinist Itzhak Perlman has been awarded 2016 Genesis Prize which is also known as Jewish Nobel prize.
15. Rajasthan has become the first state in the country to submit smart city plans for three selected cities to Union Government.
In this regard, state government has submitted smart city Proposals of Udaipur, Kota and Ajmerto Union Ministry of Urban Development.
Under the proposal the investment outlays proposed by state government for developing these 3 cities as smart cities are Kota 1,493 crore rupees, Ajmer 1,300 crore rupees and Udaipur 1,221 crore rupees respectively.
16. The West Bengal Government honored music composer Bappi Lahiri and singer Kumar Sanu with Lifetime Achievement Awards.
17. Rory McIlroy was named the European Tour Golfer of the Year. He received the award for the third time in four years.
18. The husband-wife duo of Claude and Norma Alvares were honored with the 2015 Lifetime Service Award by Sanctuary Asia magazine.
19. The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) conferred Industrial Innovation Awards 2015 upon 35 companies. Among them 10 were start-ups and 25 were big and small companies.
Delhi-based start-up Right Track Admizzionz Campuz won the top award in the start-up category, while the pharma major Zydus Cadila was adjudged the Most Innovative Company of the Year.
20. Sahitya Academy has declared the names of 23 poets and authors to present the prestigious 2015 Sahitya Akademi Award.
23 Awardee’s are:
Poetry: Brajendra Kumar Brahma (Bodo), Dhian Singh (Dogri), Ramdarash Mishra (Hindi), K.V. Tirumalesh (Kannada), Kshetri Rajan (Manipuri) and Ram Shankar Awasthi (Sanskrit).
Short stories: Kula Saikia (Assamese), Man Mohan Jha (Maithili), Gupta Pradhan (Nepali), Bibhuti Pattanaik (Odia), Maya Rahi (Sindhi) and Volga (Telugu).
Novels: Cyrus Mistry (English), Jaswinder Singh (Punjabi) and Madhu Acharya ‘Ashawadi’ (Rajasthani).
Essays: Rasik Shah (Gujrati) and A. Madhavan (Tamil).
Plays: Uday Bhembre (Konkani), Rabilal Tudu (Santali).
Books on criticism: Bashir Bhadarwahi (Kashmiri) and Shamim Tariq (Urdu).
Memoirs: Arun Khopkar (Marathi).
21. India’s former wicket-keeper batsman Syed Kirmani has been nominated for prestigious BCCI-instituted Col.C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award 2015.
22. Indian American professor Dr. Rakesh K. Jain has been selected for 2015 National Medal of Science of the United States.
He will be presented this top award along with 16 other winners by President Barack Obama at a White House ceremony in January 2016.
All of them were chosen for this award for their individual achievement and leadership in advancing the fields of science and technology.
23. Search engine giant Yahoo named Cow as the Personality of the Year 2015.
24. Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach has been 64th crowned Miss Universe after beating out contenders from the United States, France, Colombia and Australia.
25. President Pranab Mukherjee has been awarded 2015 Garwood Award for Outstanding Global Leader in Open Innovation from UC Berkeley-Haas School of Business.
26. Tata Motors made it to the Top 50 in the annual Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard for 2015.
27. Miss Spain Mireia Lalaguna Royo was crowned Miss World 2015 at the Beauty of Crown Theater in Sanya, China.
Mergers & Acquisition:
1. Tata Sons Ltd tied-up with Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Limited (ICBC) by signing a banking agreement.
2. The Board of Directors of DuPont and Dow Chemical Company approved a definitive agreement to merge the two companies in an all-stock deal.
The merged company will be named DowDuPont and it will have a combined market capitalization of approximately 130 billion dollars at announcement.
3. Tech Mahindra and Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd, part of the Mahindra Group acquired Italian car designer Pininfarina SpA for 165 million US dollars in an all-cash deal.
4. Hindustan Unilever (HUL) announced that it signed an agreement with Mosons Group to acquire its flagship brand Indulekha for 330 crore rupees.
5. Gurgaon-based on-demand grocery service PepperTap acquired Bengaluru-based hyperlocal grocery delivery startup Jiffstore in a cash-and-stock deal.
6. Arre, the digital media brand from UDigital, a venture founded by Ronnie Screwvala, B Saikumar and Ajay Chacko announced the acquisition of Apalya Technologies.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian banker Som Subroto was appointed as the Executive Vice President and Head of Retail Banking in the Mashreq’s Banking Group.
2. Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan assumed Presidency of the Royal Society in London.
3. Senior Janta Dal United (JDU) leader Vijay Kumar Chaudhary has been elected as new Speaker of Bihar legislative assembly.
4. Justice Tirath Singh Thakur sworn in as 43rd Chief Justice of India.
5. Indian-American Dr. Vijay M Rao was named as the chairperson of the prestigious Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors.
6. Indian-origin politician, Pravin Gordhan has been appointed as South Africa’s new Finance Minister.
7. The Union Government appointed Justice L Narasimha Reddy, retired Chief Justice of Patna High Court, to head the Judicial Committee which will look into the implementation of One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme for the ex-servicemen.
8. Senior revenue service officer Arun Kumar Jainwas appointed as Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
9. The Supreme Court appointed a retired judge Justice Virendra Singh as Uttar Pradesh’s Lokayukta or anti-corruption ombudsman.
10. Tata Starbucks announced the appointment of Sumi Ghosh as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
11. Jet Airways announced that its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Cramer Ball has resigned from the post with effect from 29 February 2016.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Indian Railways has signed 40,000 crore rupees contracts with General Electrics (GE) and Alstom to set up two locomotive plants in Bihar.
2. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its fifth bi-monthly monetary policy review has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
The key policy interest rates were kept unchanged on the basis of an assessment of the current and evolving macroeconomic situation in the country.
3. As per latest report published by credit rating agency Brickwork Ratings, Maharashtra is the biggest economy among the states in India.
Maharashtra accounts for 16.87 lakh crore rupees in terms of gross state domestic product (GSDP) and is followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
4. CSO announced that India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew by 7.4 percent in the second quarter (July-September) of 2015-16 financial year compared to the same period during 2014-15.
CSO stands for Central Statistical Office and is a part of the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
The high growth rate became a possibility due to 10.6 percent registered by Trade, hotels and Transport and communication and services related to broadcasting sectors.
The manufacturing sector also grew by 9.3 percent compared to 7.9 percent in Q2 of FY 2014-15.
With 7.4 percent growth, India continues be the fastest growing large economy in the world in 2015.
In early 2015, India had overtaken China as the world’s fastest growing major economy in the January-March quarter, growing 7.5 per cent against China’s 7 per cent.
India further continued the growth momentum in the April-June quarter with 7 percent.
5. Chief Economic Advisor Dr. Arvind Subramanian led Committee has recommended standard rate for Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 17 to 18 per cent.
6. Bengaluru based Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged a United States military contract for research and development (R&D) on solar powered micro-grid.
The federal contract worth US 52,900dollars was awarded to IISc by the US Pacific Air Forces (PAF), Yokota Air Base in Japan.
Under this contract IISc will develop solar powered micro-grid with battery and super capacitor energy storage system.
7. India has been placed at fourth position in black money outflows among the developing and emerging economies.
It was revealed by Global Financial Integrity’s (GFI’s) Illicit Financial Flows from Developing Countries: 2004-2013 Report.
8. Yes Bank Limited announced to mobilize 5 billion US dollars from 2015 to 2020 for climate action through lending, investing and raising capital towards mitigation, adaptation and resilience.
9. The World Bank approved a 1.5 billion US dollar loan for the ambitious Clean India Campaign (Swachh Bharat Mission).
The loan was granted to support the government in its efforts to ensure all citizens in rural areas have access to improved sanitation and end the practice of open defecation by 2019.
10. Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the purchase of Russian advance S-400 Trium Air Defence Missile Systems at an estimated cost of 40,000 crore rupees.
11. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released the final guidelines on computing interest rates on advances based on the Marginal Cost of Funds Methodology.
The new methodology is aimed at bringing uniformity among BRs of banks so that they will be more sensitive to any changes in policy rates of the RBI like Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR), Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR), etc.
12. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the deadline for exchanging pre-2005 currency notes of various denominations by another six months to June 30, 2016.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015 of Maharashtra government to allow women to work in factories in night shifts.
Key Facts of Bill
The amendment of 67-year old Act also makes mandatory for factory managements to ensure security of women working in night shifts.
Prior to amendment, the section 66(1) (c) of parent Act did not allowed women employees to work in the factories in night shift between from 7 PM and 6 AM.
Apart from this, the amendment bill also enables workers to be eligible for paid leave after working for 90 days in a year instead of the current 240 days or more.
Besides this, the amendment also does not make mandatory for workers to take the management’s permission for working overtime.
In this regard, the amendment bill has increased the working limit to 115 hours from the current 75 in 3 months.
2. President Pranab Mkherjee has given his assent to The Labour Laws (Gujarat Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The Amendment Bill passed by the state assembly to amend 10 Acts dealing with labor laws including The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 and The Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
3. The Delhi Assembly passed three major education bills – Delhi School Verification of Accounts and Refund of Excess Fee Bill, Delhi School Education (Amendment) Bill (DSEAA), and the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Delhi Amendment) Bill.
4. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for introduction of Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2015.
The bill aims for establishment of a Regional Centre for Biotechnology (RCB) in Faridabad, Haryana and provide a legal status to the Centre.
5. Lok Sabha has passed The Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015.
The Bill seeks to broaden ambit of BIS and empower Union Government to make it mandatory to carry the standard mark for certain notified goods, articles, processes, etc.
6. Delhi Assembly passed the Members of the Legislative Assembly of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Salaries, Allowances, Pension, etc) (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The bill seeks around 400 percent hike in the salaries of the MLAs.
7. The Delhi Assembly has unanimously passed the Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 for establishment of statutory anti-corruption ombudsman.
The Bill provides powers to Lokpal to act against any government functionary including those of the Centre and in the national capital territory (NCT) of Delhi through its own investigation wing.
8. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to carry out official amendments in The National Waterways Bill, 2015.
The amendments seek to add 106 additional inland waterways as the national waterways based on the recommendations Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture and comments of State Governments.
9. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, 2015.
The Bill seeks to protect the interest of consumers, promote fair play in real estate transactions and ensure timely execution of projects.
10. The Lok Sabha passed the Indian Trusts (Amendment), Bill 2015.
The Bill seeks to amend the Indian Trusts Act, 1882 to remove the archaic provisions from the 133 year old legislation which have no relevance.
11. Parliament passed the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The bill seeks to amend The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 in order to make cheque-bounce filing of cases more convenient for check payees.
12. The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed the Atomic Energy (Amendment) Bill, 2015 by voice vote.
The bill seeks to amend the Atomic Energy Act, 1962 to facilitate and fast track setting up of new nuclear projects in the country.
13. Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its approval for introduction of a Bill in the Parliament for Amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950.
The bill seeks to modify the list of Scheduled Castes in respect of Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Kerala, Odisha and West Bengal.
14. The Lok Sabha passed the Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Bill, 2015.
The Bill will help bring in big foreign investments into the country and improve India’s global image on ease of doing business.
It will help set up commercial benches in select high courts to settle high value commercial disputes.
15. Parliament has passed three bills in ongoing winter session. These bills were passed by the Rajya Sabha without discussion after they were earlier passed by Lok Sabha.
These 3 bills are-
Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Atomic Energy (Amendment) Bill, 2015
The Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Bill, 2015.
16. The Lok Sabha passed The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The Bill will allow doubling of wage ceiling for calculating bonus of factory workers.
17. Parliament has passed Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015 for trying juveniles as adults.
The bill has provision that allows trying of juveniles between the ages of 16 and 18 years as adults for heinous offences.
The legislation aims at ensuring protection, proper care, development and social reintegration of children in difficult circumstances by adopting a child-friendly approach.
The bill empowers Juvenile Justice Boards (JJB) to examine the nature of crime and decide whether it was committed as a child mind or as an adult mind.
Based upon the preliminary inquiry of JJB, juvenile offender will be either sent for rehabilitation or will be tried as an adult.
The Bill also seeks to consolidate and amend the law related to children alleged and found to be in conflict with law and children needing care and protection.
It also has provision for the establishment of Child Welfare Committees (CWC) along with JJB in each district.
The CWC will determine institutional care for juvenile in need of care and protection.
18. Lok Sabha has unanimously passed the National Waterways Bill, 2015.
The bill aims at declaring 106 additional inland waterways as National Waterways in addition to the five existing National Waterways.
19. Parliament has passed The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2015.
The Bill aims to prohibit the commission of offences against members of the SCs and STs and adds provisions for establishing special courts for the trial cases of such offences and the rehabilitation of victims.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved an agreement with Germany to expand bilateral cooperation in the field of solar energy between both countries.
2. The Union Cabinet has signed MoU between India and Israel in the field of water resources management and development cooperation.
The bilateral cooperation between both countries will benefit them in strengthening the techniques in efficient use of water, micro-irrigation.
3. Union Cabinet has approved signing and ratification of a protocol between India and Japanfor amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC).
It aims at avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
4. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on cooperation between India and United Kingdom in the energy sector.
5. The Union Ministry of Textiles, Union Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) and National Textile Corporation (NTC)signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a Technology Centre (Tool Room) at Kanpur.
6. India and Japan exchanged 16 bilateral documents including agreement on civil nuclear energy cooperation.
7. The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and BRICS (Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa) countries for energy conservation.
8. India and Russia have inked 16 cooperation agreements to expand cooperation in various sectors to give a major push to their strategic ties.
The agreements were signed in the nuclear energy, hydrocarbons, solar energy, railways and visas sectors.
Science & Technology:
1. The first India International Science Festival (IISF)has begun at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Delhi campus. It has been organized by Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
The IISF is expected to be the country’s biggest ever Technology and Industrial Expo.
2. Scientists have genetically modified malaria-causing mosquito Anopheles gambiae species to fight the deadly disease of malaria.
3. The average temperature over Arctic land for the year ending in September 2015 was the highest on record indicating that the Arctic is warming twice as fast as other parts of the Earth.
4. Online marketplace Snapdeal.com launched its mobile website in Hindi and Telugu language. With this platform, Snapdeal will now cater to 270 million users in India.
The multilingual platform will be made available to users on the mobile website only.
5. Union Government has given in principle approval to work on Loon project of internet search engine giant Google for providing Internet connectivity by using large balloons.
To know more about Google’s Loon Project, please visit here – http://192.168.0.227/scoop/google-project-loon/
6. The Union Cabinet has approved a policy framework for development of Underground Coal Gasification (UCG) in unexplored coal and lignite bearing areas in the country.
7. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully placed six commercial satellites from Singapore in their dedicated orbits.
These satellites were launched using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C29) from the first launch pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
8. The Union Government has added 106 drugs including that of HIV/AIDS, Cancer and Hepatitis C to the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM).
9. Union Government has launched two mobile applications namely Crop Insurance and AgriMarket Mobileto benefit farmers.
The main purpose for developing these Apps is to provide all relevant information to farmers and other stake holders in real time to create conducive environment for raising farm productivity and income to global levels.
10. Idea Cellular became the third mobile operator in India to launch 4G services in India. Earlier, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone India had launched 4G services in India.
11. Union Ministry of Defence has launched a new Make in India website www.makeinindiadefence.com to make defence acquisition process simpler and to provide an interface with industry.
The website provides information related to all procedural and policy issues relevant for defence manufacturing industry in the country.
It will act as an enabler for the industry to get the latest news and notification regarding various aspects of the defence production.
It provides link to industrial programs and promotion policies of various states and union territories.
It would make defence acquisition process simpler and transparent.
The portal also gives an opportunity to an individual company to seek clarifications or ask questions that would be answered within three working days.
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off first prototype pollution free electric bus for Members of Parliament.
The bus powered by battery has been manufactured in the lines with Union Government’s flagship Make in India campaign.
The 15-seater eco-friendly bus is colored in green and blue.
It has Go Green message on it and is powered by lithium battery developed by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and is very economical.
13. China launched the Dark Matter Particle Explorer (DAMPE) Satellite to shed light on mysterious dark matter.
It was the country’s first space telescope.
The purpose of the satellite is to search for smoking-gun signals of dark matter, invisible material that scientists say makes up most of the universe’s mass.
14. New species of eel named Gymnothorax mishrai was discovered by Scientists of the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) along the coast of Digha in West Bengal’s Purba Medinipur district.
About Gymnothorax mishrai
The species is 32.4 cm long, brown in colour and the body is without any patterns.
It is a marine species and is also edible.
It is distinct from other species described in the group Gymnothorax, this species of moray eel has 134 vertebral bones.
15. Two Australian endemic sea snake species, namely Aipysurus foliosquama and Aipysurus apraefrontali were rediscovered by a team of scientists from James Cook University, Australia.
The two snakes were listed as Critically Endangered in 2010 due to their restricted geographic ranges of Ashmore and Hibernia Reefs, Timor Sea, from where they disappeared between 1998 and 2002.
16. American aerospace company SpaceX achieved the historic feat of successfully launching and landing Falcon 9 rocket.
The Falcon 9 rocket was successfully launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida carrying 11 satellites to low-Earth orbit and was also successfully landed after 10 minutes to the Earth.
It is the first time in the history of rocketry that a rocket has returned back after delivering a spacecraft to its orbit, so that it could potentially fly again.
This exercise of using reusable rockets will help in reducing the cost of access to space making explorations a more realistic goal.
1. Every Years, 1st December is observed as World Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Dayto raise awareness of the pandemic caused by the spread of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
2. The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery was observed globally on 2nd December 2015.
The day is observed to focus on the elimination of human trafficking, child labor and other forms of modern-day slavery.
3. International Day of Persons with Disabilities was observed across the world on 3rd December 2015 with the theme Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities.
4. 44th Navy Day was observed on 4th December 2015.
The occasion saw screening of Navy Telefilm 2015 titled Empowering India through Maritime Security and Indigenization on DD National.
The Navy day is celebrated every year to commemorate the success of Operation Trident of Indian Navy on Karachi Harbour during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
5. The International Volunteer Day (IVD) was on 5th December 2015 observed across the world with the theme ‘the world is changing’.
6. Human Rights Day (HRD) is marked annually on 10th December to commemorate the day in 1948 when the United Nations (UN) adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
The theme chosen for the year 2015 HRD is ‘Our Rights. Our Freedoms. Always’.
7. International Anti-Corruption Day was observed across the world on 9th December 2015 with the theme Break the corruption chain.
The day was observed to raise public awareness about corruption and what people can do to fight it.
8. International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime was observed globally on 9th December 2015.
9. Vijay Diwas was observed across the country on 16th December 2015. On this day, nation remembers martyrs, who laid down their lives during Indo-Pak War of 1971.
10. In India, National Good Governance Day is being observed every year on 25th December on the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister and Bharat Ratna recipient Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
11. In India, 24th December is being observed as National Consumer Day.
12. The United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution to observe 5th November every year as World Tsunami Awareness Day.
13. Every year 22nd December is observed as National Mathematics Day to celebrate birth anniversary of great Indian autodidact Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
1. Russian legendary film Director and screenwriter Eldar Ryazanov passed away in Moscow, Russia. He was 88.
2. Margi Sathi, one of the finest exponents of Koodiyattom and Nangiarkoothu, passed away. She was 50.
3. Veteran industrialist and former parliamentarian MAM Ramaswamy passed away in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 84.
4. Noorul Huda, veteran leader of Communist Party of India (M) of eastern India, passed away. He was 86.
5. Veteran Bollywood actress Sadhna Shivdasani (mononymously known as Sadhana) passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra. She was 74.
|1.||Which Vaccine was launched by Union Government as part of the global polio endgame strategy in New Delhi?||Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV) Injection|
|2.||Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) launched which scheme to boost the quality of higher education in India through International Collaboration?||Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme|
|3.||India’s rank on ICT Development Index (IDI) that measures the level of information and communication technology access?||131 out of 167 nations|
|4.||Top three countries in IDI 2015?||South Korea, Denmark and Iceland|
|5.||Goa Government has launched which scheme to benefit more than one third of the state’s population?||The National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013|
|6.||6 new IITs to be set up in?||Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, Kerala and Karnataka|
|7.||To mark the 100 years of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), Union Government||A commemorative postage stamp|
|8.||Union Minister of Finance||Arun Jaitley|
|9.||Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment||Thaawarchand Gehlot|
|10.||What is Accessible India Campaign or Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan?||It is a nationwide campaign that aims at enabling PWD Candidates to gain universal access, equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in all aspects of life in an inclusive society.|
|11.||Uttar Pradesh Government has launched International festival on Birds to promote state as?||An International Bird-Watching Destination|
|12.||Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister||Akhilesh Yadav|
|13.||The Union Environment Minister||Prakash Javadekar|
|14.||Which scheme was launched to curb air pollution in Delhi?||Vehicle Rationing Scheme|
|15.||Which two cities were made it to the Creative City Network of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)?||Varanasi and Jaipur|
|Union Minister of State for Finance||Jayant Sinha|
|17.||Lok Sabha MP from Mumbai North Central||Poonam Mahajan|
|18.||Maharashtra Chief Secretary MMRDA||Swadheen Kshtriya|
|19.||Principal Secretary Urban development||Nitin Kareer|
|20.||MMRDA Commissioner||UPS Madan|
|21.||OSD in the Chief Ministers Office (CMO)||Kaustubh Dhavse|
|22.||Task Force for setting up an International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) in Mumbai includes||Jayant Sinha (chairman), Poonam Mahajan (deputy chairman), Swadheen Kshtriya, UPS Madan, Nitin Kareer, A representative from the Department of Economic Affairs, Union Government, Kaustubh Dhavse will be Member Convener.|
|23.||The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has launched three separate indices on three corporate houses of India. Which are those three corporate houses?||Tata, Aditya Birla and Mahindra Group|
|24.||IT major Tech Mahindra’s ‘Tap N Pay’ contactless digital payment wallet for the Indian masses?||MoboMoney|
|25.||New building of Afghanistan Parliament built by India were inaugurated in?||Kabul|
|26.||North India’s first cable-stayed bridge||Atal Setu|
|27.||The Union Minister of Human Resource Development||Zubin Irani|
|28.||First shipyard in India to get the nod to build LNG-transporting ships for any client world-wide||Cochin Shipyard|
|29.||Which scheme was launched by the Odisha Government to provide free education to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe students||Anwesha Scheme|
|30.||Union Minister of Agriculture||Radha Mohan Singh|
|1.||The International Solar Alliance in Paris was launched by which two countries?||India and France|
|2.||The aim of launching the International Solar Alliance in Paris is?||To bring 121 tropical countries together to tap solar energy.|
|3.||Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution was launched by?||World Leaders|
|4.||First Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) media summit were held at||Beijing, China|
|5.||Second Largest Lake in Myammar||Inle Lake|
|6.||India and UK’s Joint Initiative in the field of Education and Research||Joint Initiative 2016: UK-INDIA Year of Education and Research|
|7.||Which two groups launched Principles for Public Credit Guarantee Schemes (CGSs)?||World Bank and First Initiative|
|8.||Ruling conservative People’s Party (PP) of Spain has won?||The 2015 general election of the country|
|9.||Prime Minister of Spain?||Mariano Rajoy|
|1.||Former Indian test Captain Anil Kumble has resigned from the position of?||Chief Mentor of Indian Premier League (IPL)|
|2.||Footballer Robert Lewandowski’s has booked his name in Guinness World Record for which achievement?||For his nine-minute, five-goal haul for German Football Club Bayern Munich against Wolfsburg.|
|3.||Gold Medal Winner in the 7th WBPF World Bodybuilding and Physique Championships||Anoop Singh|
|4.||World’s number one women Shuttler?||Carolina Marin from Spain|
|5.||2015 Female Badminton Player of the Year award?||Carolina Marin from Spain|
|6.||Top 10 teams in FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings as per the November 2015 edition.||
|7.||The co-owner of the Pro Wrestling League team, UP Warriors||Rohit Sharma (Indian Cricketer)|
|8.||The Badminton World Federation (BWF) Male of the Year Awards’ Winner?||China’s Chen Long|
|9.||Badminton World Federation (BWF) Female Player of the Year Awards’ Winner?||Carolina Marin|
|10.||First Indian female cyclist to be ranked fourth in the World Elite Women Ranking?||Indian cyclist Deborah Herold|
|11.||Winner of the Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions Gold at the 59th National Shooting Championships||Kerala’s Elizabeth Susan Koshy|
|12.||The 59th National Shooting Championships were held at||Dr. Karni Singh Shooting range in New Delhi|
|13.||Gold Medal Winners at the 59th National Shooting Championship.||Olympic medalist Vijay Kumar of Indian Army and Apurvi Chandela from Rajasthan|
|14.||Winner of 25m standard pistol event at the 59th National Shooting Championship?||Gurpreet Singh (Indian Army)|
|15.||Winner of Rapid fire pistol event at the 59th National Shooting Championship?||Pemba Tamang (Indian Army)|
|16.||Winner of Air pistol & Standard pistol events at the 59th National Shooting Championship?||Achal Pratap Singh Grewal|
|17.||Merit crown of Asian Tour for year 2015 goes to?||India’s star golfer Anirban Lahiri|
|18.||Which Cricketer was names as the Cricketer of the Year for 2015 at the International Cricket Council (ICC) Awards ceremony in Dubai?||Australian cricketer Steve Smith|
|19.||International Cricket Council (ICC) 2015 was held in?||Dubai|
|20.||2015 BBC Sports Personality of the Year awardee name?||Andy Murray of the UK|
|21.||Winner of the second edition of Indian Super League (ISL) Football tournament?||Chennaiyin FC|
|22.||Winner of 2015 FIFA Club World Cup for a record third time?||Barcelona FC|
|23.||Winner of the Under-19 Singapore Squash Open?||India’s Abhay Singh|
|24.||The 2015 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player-of-the-Year?||Bengaluru FC (BFC) midfielder Eugeneson Lyngdoh|
|25.||The 2015 All India Football Federation (AIFF) woman Footballer-of-the-Year?||Striker Bala Devi|
|26.||The first cricketer from New Zealand to top the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) Test rankings?||Kane Williamson|
Awards & Recognition
|1.||Winner of the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) Series in Dubai||Hinduja Brothers|
|2.||Which Development Authority was awarded with the E-India Award for adopting technology to serve the public better and using resources efficiently through mobile applications?||The Delhi Development Authority (DDA)|
|3.||The Sangeet Samman at the ITC Sangeet Sammelan 2015 was presented to?||Renowned violinist Lakshminarayana Subramaniam|
|4.||Winners of the Indian National Bar Association’s (INBA) General Counsel of the year 2015 – Retail Award?||Pulin Kumar, Group Senior Legal and Compliance Director of Adidas India|
|5.||First state of India to launch Rotavirus vaccination project?||Himachal Pradesh|
|6.||Person of the Year 2015 as per the awards declared by Time Magazine?||German Chancellor Angela Merkel|
|7.||Winner of the prestigious 2015 Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award?||Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist Frank Islam|
|8.||Winner of the 2015 Aegis Graham Bell Award?||Global software giant Wipro|
|9.||Mailer Prize for lifetime achievement was presented to?||India-born author Salman Rushdie|
|10.||Which Bollywood actor has been honored with the lifetime achievement award at the 12th edition of Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF)?||Veteran Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah|
|11.||Winner of 2016 Genesis Prize or Jewish Nobel prize?||Israeli-American violinist Itzhak Perlman|
|12.||First state in the country to submit smart city plans to Union Government?||Rajasthan|
|13.||Rajasthan chose which three cities to become smart cities?||Kota, Udaipur and Ajmer.|
|14.||European Tour Golfer of the Year 2015?||Rory McIlroy|
|15.||Winners of the 2015 Lifetime Service Award by Sanctuary Asia magazine?||The husband-wife duo of Claude and Norma Alvares|
|16.||Nominee for BCCI-instituted Col.C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award 2015?||India’s former wicket-keeper batsman Syed Kirmani|
|17.||Winner of 2015 National Medal of Science of the United States?||Indian American professor Dr. Rakesh K. Jain|
|18.||Personality of the Year 2015 according to Yahoo?||Cow|
|19.||64th crowned Miss Universe?||Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach|
|20.||Awardee of 2015 Garwood Award?||President Pranab Mukherjee|
|21.||Miss World 2015?||Miss Spain Mireia Lalaguna Royo|
Mergers & Acquisitions
|1.||Hindustan Unilever (HUL) and Mosons Group together acquired which company?||Indulekh|
|2.||The Board of Directors of DuPont and Dow Chemical Company’s Merged Company Name?||DowDuPont|
|3.||Tata Sons Ltd tied-up with?||Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Limited (ICBC)|
|4.||Gurgaon-based on-demand grocery service PepperTap acquired which Bengaluru-based Company in a cash-and-stock deal?||Bengaluru-based Company hyperlocal grocery delivery startup Jiffstore|
Appointments & Resignations
|1.||The Executive Vice President and Head of Retail Banking in the Mashreq’s Banking Group?||Indian banker Som Subroto|
|2.||Presidency of the Royal Society in London?||Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan|
|3.||New Speaker of Bihar legislative assembly?||Senior Janta Dal United (JDU) leader Vijay Kumar Chaudhary|
|4.||43rd Chief Justice of India?||Justice Tirath Singh Thakur|
|5.||The chairperson of the prestigious Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors?||Indian-American Dr. Vijay M Rao|
|6.||South Africa’s new Finance Minister?||Indian-origin politician, Pravin Gordhan|
|7.||Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)?||Arun Kumar Jain|
|8.||Uttar Pradesh’s Lokayukta or anti-corruption ombudsman?||Justice Virendra Singh|
|9.||Tata Starbucks’ Chief Executive Officer (CEO)||Sumi Ghosh|
Economics & Banking GK
|1.||Indian Railways has signed 40,000 crore rupees contracts with which Organization to set up two locomotive plants in Bihar?||General Electrics (GE) and Alstom|
|2.||As per the Brickwork Ratings, Which State has a Biggest Economy among the states in India?||Maharashtra|
|3.||Chief Economic Advisor?||Dr. Arvind Subramanian|
|4.||Standard Rate for Goods and Services Tax (GST)?||17 to 18%|
|5.||India is placed on which position in black money outflows among the developing and emerging economies?||Fourth (4th)|
|6.||How much billion US Dollar Loan was passed by World Bank for Clean Indian Campaign?||1.5 Billion US Dollar|
Bills – New & Amendments
|1.||Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015||To allow women to work in factories in night shifts|
|2.||The Labour Laws (Gujarat Amendment) Bill, 2015||To give govt more control over industries|
|3.||The Delhi Assembly’s three major education bills||
|4.||The Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015||To broaden ambit of BIS and empower Union Government to make it mandatory to carry the standard mark for certain notified goods, articles, processes, etc|
|5.||Members of the Legislative Assembly of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Salaries, Allowances, Pension, etc) (Amendment) Bill, 2015||The bill was passed seeks around 400 percent hike in the salaries of the MLAs|
|6.||Lokpal Bill, 2015||For establishment of statutory anti-corruption ombudsman|
|7.||The Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, 2015||To protect the interest of consumers, promote fair play in real estate transactions and ensure timely execution of projects.|
|8.||The National Waterways Bill, 2015||To add 106 additional inland waterways as the national waterways based on the recommendations Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture and comments of State Governments.|
|9.||Indian Trusts (Amendment), Bill 2015||to amend the Indian Trusts Act, 1882 to remove the archaic provisions from the 133 year old legislation which have no relevance|
|10.||Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015||To amend The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 in order to make cheque-bounce filing of cases more convenient for check payees|
|11.||Atomic Energy (Amendment) Bill, 2015||To amend the Atomic Energy Act, 1962 to facilitate and fast track setting up of new nuclear projects in the country|
|12.||Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Bill, 2015||To bring big foreign investments into the country and improve India’s global image on ease of doing business|
|13.||The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Bill, 2015||To double the wage ceiling for calculating bonus of factory workers|
|14.||Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015||The bill allows trying of juveniles between the ages of 16 and 18 years as adults for heinous offences|
|15.||The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2015||To prohibit the commission of offences against members of the SCs and STs|
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
|1.||The purpose of the agreement signed between Union Cabinet and Germany?||To expand bilateral cooperation in the field of solar energy between both countries|
|2.||India and Israel signed an agreement in which field?||Water Resources Management and Development Cooperation|
|3.||Protocol signed between India and Japan for amending?||The Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC)|
|4.||The Union Ministry of Textiles, Union Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) and National Textile Corporation (NTC) signed agreements for which purpose?||To set up a Technology Centre (Tool Room) at Kanpur|
|5.||For Energy Conservation India signed agreements with which countries?||BRICS Countries (Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa)|
Science & Technology
|1.||Country’s biggest ever Technology and Industrial Expo?||India International Science Festival (IISF)|
|2.||Snapdeal launched its mobile website in which two languages?||Hindi and Telugu|
|3.||Google Loon Project||For providing Internet connectivity by using large balloons|
|4.||Union Government recently launched which two mobile apps to benefit farmers?||Crop Insurance and AgriMarket Mobile|
|5.||The third mobile operator in India to launch 4G services in India?||Idea Cellular|
|6.||Make in India website?||www.makeinindiadefence.com|
|7.||Make in India website is launched for which purpose?||To make defense acquisition process simpler and to provide an interface with industry|
|8.||Dark Matter Particle Explorer (DAMPE) Satellite was launched by?||China to shed light on mysterious dark matter.|
|9.||New species of eel?||Gymnothorax Mishrai|
|10.||Two Australian Endemic Sea Snake Species||Aipysurus foliosquama and Aipysurus apraefrontali|
|1.||World Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) Day||1st December|
|2.||The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery||2nd December|
|3.||International Day of Persons with Disabilities||3rd December|
|4.||44th Navy Day||4th December|
|5.||The International Volunteer Day (IVD)||5th December|
|6.||Human Rights Day (HRD)||10th December|
|7.||International Anti-Corruption Day||9th December|
|8.||International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime||9th December|
|9.||Vijay Diwas||16th December|
|10.||National Good Governance Day||25th December|
|11.||National Consumer Day||24th December|
|12.||World Tsunami Awareness Day||5th November|
|13.||National Mathematics Day||22nd December|
|1.||Russian legendary film Director and screenwriter Eldar RyazanovEldar Ryazanov|
|2.||Margi Sathi, one of the finest exponents of Koodiyattom and Nangiarkoothu|
|3.||Veteran industrialist and former parliamentarian MAM Ramaswamy|
|4.||Noorul Huda, veteran leader of Communist Party of India (M) of eastern India|
|5.||Veteran Bollywood actress Sadhna Shivdasani|