Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack the IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. BRICS Women Parliamentarians forum has unanimously passed the Jaipur Declaration on the concluding day of the Forum’s meeting held in Jaipur.
The 19-point declaration was adopted at the two-day meeting of BRICS Women Parliamentarians forum held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
2. Union Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated the state’s first animal birth control centre (ABC) at Kedarpuram.
The centre will take up birth control measures with stray dogs the population of which has been rising in the city and the state.
3. The monogrammed suit worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meeting with American President Barack Obama last year, which created huge controversy, entered Guinness Book of World Records as ‘the most expensive suit sold’.
The suit was sold at an auction for Rs 4.31 crore
4. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to draft its own internal security legislation The Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016.
The act gives special emphasis on maintaining law and order and combating terrorism, insurgency, caste-related violence, and communalism in the state.
5. The Union Cabinet approved a revised Double Tax Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income between India and Cyprus.
The revised DTAA provides for source-based taxation of capital gains on transfer of shares instead of one based on residence.
6. Ahmedabad, Gujarat is going to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup between October 7 and 22, 2016.
The event will see the participation of 12 Kabaddi teams which are India, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Iran, Australia, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Korea, Japan and Kenya.
7. The two-day meeting of Ministers of Disaster Management (MDM) of BRICS countries concluded in Udaipur, Rajasthan with the adoption of the Udaipur Declaration.
This was the second meeting and in the follow-up of the first meeting of the BRICS MDM convened by the Russia in St. Petersburg in April 2016.
8. After Goa and Delhi, Telangana has become the third state to inaugurate south India’s first Children’s Court.
was inaugurated in Hyderabad.
This court is a child-friendly court and sixth in the country with features like separate waiting rooms for children and a video camera trial for the accused, mandated under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POSCO) Act-2012.
9. The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched new Hindi website and updated and revamped English website of the Minority Affairs Ministry.
10. In a first-ever major overhaul, IITs across the country have blacklisted 30 companies, including 28 start-ups, for one year.
It means they can’t take part in forthcoming campus placements season.
11. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box, in New Delhi.
POCSO e-box is an online complaint management system for easy and direct reporting of sexual offences against children and timely action against offenders under POCSO Act, 2012.
12. The Union Finance Ministry has constituted 11 members high-level committee to suggest steps to promote card payments with an aim to discourage cash transactions.
The 11-member committee will be headed by Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog and former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal.
13. Maharashtra Government has unveiled ambitious Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project in Mumbai.
The 46,000-crore rupee ambitious project will create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state.
14. The 22nd edition of the Delhi Book Fair (DBF) began at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
The nine day event will conclude on 4th of September 2016.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The world’s highest and longest glass-bottomed bridge was opened to visitors in central China.
The bridge connects two mountain cliffs known as the Avatar Mountains in Zhangjiajie, Hunan province.
2. India has pledged financial assistance worth 39.97 million Nepali Rupees for the construction of a new building and a hostel facility at a Sanskrit school in eastern Nepal.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani, jointly tele-inaugurated the restored Stor Palace in Kabul.
The Stor Palace is located in the Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Campus in Kabul.
It will house the Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
4. President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel and its multimedia website in the Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh, and the adjoining areas.
It is an initiative of Kolkata Akashvani Kendra that will provide a platform for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture.
5. The United States Postal Service (USPS) announced to commemorate the joyous Hindu festival of Diwali with the launch of Forever stamp.
The first-day-of-issue dedication ceremony of the Forever Stamp will take place at the Consulate General of India, New York on 5 October 2016.
6. Forbes released the list of The World’s Highest-Paid Actresses 2016.
Indian actress Deepika Padukone is the only Indian star to make the cut.
Jennifer Lawrence topped the Forbes magazine list for the second straight year with earnings of 46 million US dollars.
7. United States is going to create world’s largest protected marine reserve area named as Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off the Hawaiian coast.
It will be created by expansion of present national monument off Hawaii.
8. Pakistan is going to host the 19th SAARC Summit in Islamabad and Murree on November 9 and 10, 2016.
It will be the meeting of the head of states or head of government of the eight SAARC countries.
1. The 31st Summer Olympics (or 2016 Rio Olympics) hosted by Brazilian City, Rio de Janeiro ended on 21st August 2016 after 16 days of sporting spectacle.
The games had seen participations of nearly 11,000 participants from 205 countries, including a first-ever refugee team featuring in 306 events of 42 sporting disciplines.
The United States ended the Games at the top of the medals tally with 46 Gold, 37 Silver and 38 Bronze.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo has been voted UEFA’s 2015-16 Best Player in Europe ahead of Real Madrid team mate Gareth Bale and Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann.
Ronaldo scored 51 goals in 48 games in all competitions for Real who won the Champions League and finished runners-up to Barcelona in La Liga.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Prominent film actor Kamal Haasan has been selected by France for its prestigious Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres.
It is also known as Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters.
He has been chosen for this prestigious award recognition of his high level artistic excellence and distinguished career achievements.
2. Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was conferred with the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015.
She was presented with the award by West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi for her poetry collection Kshama (published in 2008).
3. The Union Government announced National Sports Awards 2016 to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India.
2016 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award: PV Sindhu (Badminton), Sakshi Malik (Wrestling), Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics) and Jitu Rai (Shooting).
2016 Dronacharya Award: Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing), Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics), S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming) and Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Arjuna Award: Rajat Chauhan (Archery), Lalita Babar (Athletics),Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker), Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket), Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),Raghunath V.R. (Hockey), Gurpreet Singh (Shooting), Apurvi Chandela (Shooting), Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),Vinesh (Wrestling), Amit Kumar (Wrestling), Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics) and Virender Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Dhyan Chand Award: Satti Geetha (Athletics), Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey) and Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
2015-16 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy: Punjabi University, Patiala.
4. President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) N. Ramachandran was awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
The award was formally bestowed upon him by the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach.
5. The GPS-enabled mobile app of the Telangana Aarogyasri Healthcare Trust bagged this year’s Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)’s healthcare excellence award.
It is the IInd award for the app having secured the ‘Elite Smart Healthcare Conclave’ for being the most important mobile app in the nation.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Indian government’s Tourism Ministry has decided that instead of getting a brand ambassador for the Incredible India campaign, it will make Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the face of the campaign.
His face will be used for the advertisements and promotional films. Even Gujarat Tourism’s prosperity will also be mentioned.
2. Amul Managing Director, R S Sodhi has been appointed as independent director on the board of India Post Payment Banks (IPPB) – the payments bank arm of postal department.
3. VP Singh Badnore has sworn in as the new Governor of Punjab and also as Administrator of Chandigarh.
He succeeds Kaptan Singh Solanki, who is the Governor of Haryana and was holding additional charge of Punjab Governor and Administrator of Chandigarh since January 2015.
4. Shri Yogeshwar Sangwan, Ambassador of India to the Republic of Armenia, has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Georgia, with residence in Yerevan (Armenia).
5. Dr. Najma Heptulla was sworn-in as the 18th Governor of Manipur.
She replaced Shanmuganathan who was holding the dual charge of Governor of Meghalaya and Manipur.
6. Justice Manjula Chellur has sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court.
She succeeded CJ Dhirendra Hiralal Waghela who has retired.
7. Wrestler Sakshi Malik was named as Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign in Haryana.
She had won the bronze medal in wrestling at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category and created history by becoming the first women from India to win Olympics medal in wrestling.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. A travel insurance cover of up to Rs 10 lakh can be availed while booking train ticket online by paying less than one rupee from August 31.
The new facility will be available to all passengers excluding those travelling on suburban trains while booking online irrespective of the class.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for introduction of the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 to ban commercial surrogacy in the country.
It will ensure effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibit commercial surrogacy and allow ethical surrogacy to the needy infertile couples.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Maharashtra Government has signed an MoU with the Union Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to develop 10 airports as part of the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme.
2. India and Germany have signed an agreement on vocational training.
It aims to foster conditions to create and improve workplace-based vocational training in India’s industrial clusters.
3. Maharashtra and Telangana have signed an MoU for three irrigation projects to be constructed on Godavari, Pranahita and Painganga rivers.
Under the agreement, the two States would take up Tummidi Hatti, Medigadda and Chanaka-Korata irrigation projects on Godavari River and its tributaries.
4. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the signing of an MoU between India and Myanmar in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
The MoU will provide structured framework for the promotion of AYUSH/Traditional Systems of Medicine in Myanmar.
5. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji.
It will update the existing ASA between the two countries which was signed in January 1974.
6. An MoU between India and South Africa to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation.
The MoU was signed in pursuance to the Inter-Government Agreement between two countries for cooperation in Science & Technology in July 2016 at Pretoria, South Africa.
Science & Technology:
1. The world’s first self-driving taxi service was launched in Singapore.
This launch is significant as it offers technology demonstration that could revolutionize the future transport industry.
The Singapore government had given its approval nuTonomy to conduct the self-driving taxi trial for the public.
2. For the first time, researchers have decoded and predicted the brain activity patterns of word meanings within sentences.
The brain activity patterns were predicted using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure human brain activation.
3. The Union Government has launched Accessible E-Library ‘Sugamya Pustakalaya’ for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
It is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages and multiple accessible formats.
4. Scientists for the first time have developed LASER from fluorescent jellyfish proteins that were grown in bacteria.
5. The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has identified and registered nine new breeds of indigenous farm (livestock and poultry) animals.
These new indigenous breeds were registered based on scientifically produced evidence.
6. Scientists in Japan studying earthquakes for the first time have detected a rare deep-Earth tremor, known as an S (secondary) wave microseism.
Microseisms are very faint tremors.
The detection was made by scientists from the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention in Japan.
7. Andhra Pradesh became the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA profiling of criminals.
The system uses the latest DNA technology tool (also known as RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of United States.
1. SR Nathan, former longest-serving Singapore President of Indian-origin passes away.
He was the sixth and longest-serving President of Singapore.
2. Subrata Banerjee, former international umpire, died at the age of 71 in Kolkata.
Banerjee had a 15-year career at the international level, where he officiated in 13 ODIs.
3. Akhlaq Ur Rahman (AR) Kidwai passed away following a brief illness. He was 96.
He served as Governor of States including Bihar, West Bengal and Haryana, for a record period of 17 years.
Important Abbreviations Used in the Article
|MPISA||Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act|
|DTAA||Double Tax Avoidance Agreement|
|MDM||Ministers of Disaster Management|
|POCSO||Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses|
|USPS||The United States Postal Service|
|SAARC||South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation|
|IOC||International Olympic Committee|
|IOA||Indian Olympic Association|
|FICCI||Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry|
|AAI||Airports Authority of India|
|LASER||Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation|
|DIS||DNA Index System|
|NBAGR||National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images