Update your IQ with the GK Eduwrap Weekly Edition, loaded with GK updates & Current Affairs. Now confidently crack IBPS, SSC’s Current Affairs Section !!
National – Across the India:
1. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu flagged off an all-women Mt Gorichen expedition.
This will be the first all-women team attempting to summit the second highest peak of the state.
It is considered as a technical peak and only seasoned climbers can make it to the top (6,488 m).
2. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement Direct Benefit Transfer in Kerosene.
The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the State namely Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara.
3. Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis declares Nagpur first digital district of India.
4. Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched Indian Bridge Management System.
IBMS is being developed to create an inventory of all bridges in the country and rate their structural condition so that timely repair and rehabilitation work can be carried out based on the criticality of the structure.
5. Union Finance Ministry sets up Public Debt Management Cell.
It is created to streamline government borrowings and better cash management with the overall objective of deepening bond markets.
6. Union Cabinet has approved setting up of India’s first Medipark in Tamil Nadu.
It will boost the local manufacturing of hi-end products at a significantly lower cost, resulting in affordable healthcare delivery to a large section of people.
7. India is hosting the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from November 3 to 5, 2016 in New Delhi.
It will set the direction of Sendai Framework implementation in the region.
8. Terminal 3 of Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) achieved Platinum rating from Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
It was announced by Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL).
9. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced that India-Pakistan border will be completely sealed by December 2018.
The reason is the rising tensions between India and Pakistan following the surgical strikes across the Line of Control.
10. Maharashtra became the 17th state to join Central Government’s Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojna (UDAY) scheme.
It will help Maharashtra to reap benefits worth INR 9,725 crore by way of cheaper funds, transmission losses, energy efficiency and coal reforms during the period of the turnaround.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to be Chief Guest on 2017 Republic Day.
This will be the second visit by the Crown Prince within a year.
2. France has become the first country in the world to ban disposable plastic cups and plates.
A new French law will require all disposable tableware to be made from 50% biologically-sourced materials that can be composted at home by January of 2020.
3. President Mr. Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit in New Delhi.
It is based on theme “beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress”.
1. Kieren Dsouza becomes the first Indian to complete World’s toughest race, Spartathlon.
The race involves a distance of 246km from Athens to Sparta which D’Souza completed in 33 hours, 2 minutes and 25 seconds and stood 86th among 370 participants.
2. India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Korea Open.
She won a long trophy drought with a one-stroke victory at the Shinhan Donghae Open in South Korea for his sixth title on the Asian Tour.
3. The first edition of the BRICS Under-17 Football tournament begins in Goa.
The tournament featuring Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) has been organized on the occasion of the 8th BRICS summit that will be held in Goa on the 15th of this month.
4. Jitu Rai wins Silver at World Cup in Italy in Shooting.
5. The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup kicked off in the presence of captains of the 12 competing nations, including hosts India.
It will be the first time that 12 nations will participate for one grand title in Ahmedabad
Awards & Recognition:
1. Murga wins first prize at Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival.
The short film was directed by young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri from Maharashtra.
2. Yoshinori Ohsumi of Japan won the 2016 Nobel Medicine Prize.
He won the prize for his work on Autophagy.
It is a process whereby cells “eat themselves” which when disrupted can cause Parkinson’s and diabetes.
3. South African teen Kiara Nirghin has won a $50,000 scholarship at Google Science Fair.
She developed a cheaper “super-absorbent material” that helps the soil retain water using orange peel.
4. British scientists David Thouless, Duncan Haldane and Michael Kosterlitz won the 2016 Nobel Prize for Physics.
They studied in “strange states” of matter.
5. History writer Nayanjot Lahiri has won the prestigious 2016 John F. Richards Prize for her book “Ashoka in Ancient India”.
6. A Trio of Jean-Pierre Sauvage, J Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L Feringa have won the prestigious 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
They are awarded for their individual efforts in developing molecular machines.
7. The International Astronautical Federation’s inducts renowned space scientist Udupi Ramachandra Rao has been awarded with the Hall of Fame.
Rao was awarded for his contribution towards the development of India’s space technology.
8. Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was honoured with prestigious Sustainable Development Leadership Award by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
9. Arjun Vajpai, a professional mountaineer from Noida, became the youngest in the world to scale the Mount Cho Oyu.
It is the 6th highest mountain peak in the world at 8,188 metres above sea level.
10. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos won the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for FARC agreement.
A total of 376 People were nominated this year for the prize.
11. Vinaya Manchaiah has been named to the 2016 class of the ‘Jerger Future Leaders of Audiology’ by the American Academy of Audiology.
He is an Indian-American associate professor at Lamar University in Texas
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Arundhati Bhattacharya Gets Year-Long Extension as State Bank of India Chief.
Her tenure was to end on 6th October 2016.
She got the extension to oversee the merger of six smaller commercial banks into the country’s largest lender SBI.
2. Rajeev Sharma has taken over as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC) with effect.
3. Kersti Kaljulaid elected as first female President of Estonia.
She won vote 81-0, with 20 members absent or abstaining.
4. Somesh Sharma of Rashtradoot Saptahik was elected as president of the Indian Newspaper Society on Friday for 2016-17.
He succeeds P V Chandran of Grehalakshmi of Mathrubhumi Group.
5. R. Ravindra concurrently accredited Ambassador to Guinea.
6. Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit).
It is one of the highest civilian recognitions of the French government.
7. Actress and BJP leader Roopa Ganguly nominated for Rajya Sabha.
She has been nominated to fill the post in Rajya Sabha vacated by cricketer turned politician Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned earlier this year.
8. Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar resigns.
His term was to end in February next year.
9. Sushil Chandra appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
10. Germany has appointed former Nasscom Chairman B. V. R. Mohan Reddy as an Honourary Consul of that country in Hyderabad.
11. Former Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Guterres is poised to be the next United Nations Secretary-General.
He is expected to be formally recommended to the 193-member General Assembly for election by the Security Council
12. Jammu and Kashmir Bank appointed Parvez Ahmed as Chairman and CEO of the bank.
13. Senior journalist Gautam Lahiri was elected president of the Press Club of India.
Of the five contenders for the post of president, Mr Lahiri was on first position with 684 votes
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Black money worth Rs. 65,250 crore declared under Income Disclosure Scheme, 2016.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has received total disclosure of INR 65,250 crore black money in the form of cash and other assets under the Income Disclosure Scheme, 2016.
2. State Bank of India opens branch in Yangon after 53 years.
With the opening of this branch, SBI has extended (its) global presence to 37 countries through 198 offices.
3. Reserve Bank of India announced its 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement.
RBI cut the short-term lending rate, or repo rate, by 25 basis points to 6.25 per cent from 6.50 per cent earlier.
4. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) raised projections for India’s economic growth by 0.2 percentage points to 7.6 percent for 2016-17 and 2017-18.
5. RBI Internal Working Group (IWG) has proposed easing bank branch norms on Rationalisation of Branch Authorisation Policy.
It was chaired by Lily Vadera.
It has proposed to relax norms that a bank branch has to follow, like a building, number of employees etc. to facilitate financial inclusion.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Election Commission of India collaborates with Facebook to register young voters.
The agreement is to run a voter registration drive aimed at encouraging youth to participate in the democratic exercise.
2. India has ratified the Paris Agreement on climate change on the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
3. India and Singapore have signed three agreements (MoUs) in the fields of skill development and IPR to boost bilateral relations between them.
The MoUs are as follows:
MoU in the field of Industrial Property Cooperation
MoU on collaboration in the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training=> Signed between the Assam government and ITEES Singapore
MoU on collaboration in the field of Technical and Vocational Education and Training=> Signed between Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education Services (ITEES) and India’s National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
4. The Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for the signing of MoU between India and European Union in the field of water resources.
5. Oil India Limited has signed MoU with University of Houston.
It is focused to collaborate in the fields of Improved Oil Recovery & Enhanced Oil Recovery for production enhancement from matured fields.
6. Three agreements are signed between India and Switzerland.
Mutual Visa Exemption Agreement for Holders of Diplomatic Passports
Technical Arrangements on Identification and Return of Illegal Migrants and Arrangement for Dependent Person of Diplomatic, Consular
Technical and Administrative Staff of Diplomatic and Consular Mission to Perform Gainful Employment
Science & Technology:
1. India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 was successfully launched.
It was launched from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
GSAT-18 is built by ISRO with an aim to provide telecommunications services for the country by strengthening ISRO’s current fleet of 14 operational telecommunication satellites.
2. The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application “Delhi Police Senior Citizen”.
This app will help senior citizens to provide immediate assistance to them in distress.
1. 2nd October 2016 was celebrated as the 8th International Day of Non-Violence.
The day has been declared by the General Assembly of the United Nations in 2007, in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. The World Teachers’ Day (WTD) 2016 observed across the world on 5th October.
Its aim is to mobilize support for teachers and to ensure that the needs of future generations will continue to be met by teachers
3. 8th October 2016 was observed as Air Force Day across India.
This is the 84th celebration of the Day that began in 1932.
The day was observed to increase the awareness about the importance of Indian Air Force in all the organizations.
1. Noted contemporary artist Yusuf Arakkal passed away on 4 October 2016 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 71.
Arakkal had recently released a book called Faces of Creativity, which is a comprehensive collection of portraits of fellow artists.
2. Manipur-based theatre legend Heisnam Kanhailal passed away at the age of 75.
He has contributed to the field of experimental theatre for more than 40 years.
He later founded the Kalakshetra, the theatre laboratory in Manipur.
3. Freedom fighter and Congress leader Ramesh Kulkarni passed away at the age of 89.
Important Abbreviations Used In This Article
|AMCDRR||Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction|
|IGIA||Indira Gandhi International Airport|
|IGBC||Indian Green Building Council|
|DIAL||Delhi International Airport Limited|
|UDAY||Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojna|
|TERI||The Energy and Resources Institute|
|PFC||Power Finance Corporation|
|CBDT||Central Board of Direct Taxes|
|IMF||International Monetary Fund|
|ITEES||Singapore’s Institute of Technical Education Services|
|NSDC||India’s National Skill Development Corporation|
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images